steering issue

jrhendryx
This post is 5894 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Drewpy, what kind of bars would you suggest? What is it that makes the ace bars uncomfortable at low speeds? Hand/wrist position or body position?

I was trying to go for a slightly more aggressive, forward leaning position. I was in a bad car wreck last year, and for some reason a really upright seating position hurts my back badly, but I get no pain on the sport bikes I've ridden.

Its the leaning on your wrists that get painful after a bit, you go faster and the the wind pushes on your chest relieving the pressure.

also you may find the standard footests too far forward as you will be basically crouching as you ride. you may need RAASK rear-sets (

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its the leaning on your wrists that get painful after a bit, you go faster and the the wind pushes on your chest relieving the pressure.

also you may find the standard footests too far forward as you will be basically crouching as you ride. you may need RAASK rear-sets (

well, im 6' and am already a little crowded, since the current handlebars have my arms pinned back a bit, i did some searching and couldnt come up with any RAASK rears for the xs500. i found them for the all of the other xs sizes though.

how do the RAASK sets work? ive never seen/heard of one. does it just move the passenger pegs down and forward slightly? if so, and you are to use those pegs normally, how does one shift? would i have to switch back to the front peg to shift, and then back to the rears when just riding normally?

if you use the rear pegs, is there any way to be able to shift from those pegs? perhaps some attachment to the gear selector that extends it towards the rear?

thanks for all the help!

** edit**

nevermind on the "how does it work" portion, after doing a bit more research, i figured out how they work the gear selector, now i just need some help finding ones that would work for my bike.

well, im 6' and am already a little crowded, since the current handlebars have my arms pinned back a bit, i did some searching and couldnt come up with any RAASK rears for the xs500. i found them for the all of the other xs sizes though.

how do the RAASK sets work? ive never seen/heard of one. does it just move the passenger pegs down and forward slightly? if so, and you are to use those pegs normally, how does one shift? would i have to switch back to the front peg to shift, and then back to the rears when just riding normally?

if you use the rear pegs, is there any way to be able to shift from those pegs? perhaps some attachment to the gear selector that extends it towards the rear?

thanks for all the help!

** edit**

nevermind on the "how does it work" portion, after doing a bit more research, i figured out how they work the gear selector, now i just need some help finding ones that would work for my bike.

these send your footpegs rear wards so you are more lying down than crouched. For the benefit of other readers;

http://www.raask.se/ind-eng.htm

a lot of peeps modify other, more modern bike's footpegs as they are basically rear sets. Also look at your frame and see if it has a similarity with say xs650 RD400 or sr500's that would be your starting point. (if you want to go that way of course)

you are turning your bike into a cafe racer BTW!

http://www.caferacermotorcycle.com/index.php

these send your footpegs rear wards so you are more lying down than crouched. For the benefit of other readers;

http://www.raask.se/ind-eng.htm

a lot of peeps modify other, more modern bike's footpegs as they are basically rear sets. Also look at your frame and see if it has a similarity with say xs650 RD400 or sr500's that would be your starting point. (if you want to go that way of course)

you are turning your bike into a cafe racer BTW!

http://www.caferacermotorcycle.com/index.php

well, i dont necessarily want to make it a cafe racer. it would be nice if i could just try out some bars for a week or so each to see how i like them and then just pick one to keep :)

oh well.

well, i dont necessarily want to make it a cafe racer. it would be nice if i could just try out some bars for a week or so each to see how i like them and then just pick one to keep :)

oh well.

try some straight "Vincent" bars that may offer a compromise?

I am looking at a slightly straighter set of bars, though I coldnt find any pictures of "vincent" bars when I looked. Could you provide one?

Another question too, im not sure if the forks on my bike are the 34 or 35 mm ones. Is that an outside diameter or inside diameter measurement? I am looking for replacement springs for them, but need to know what I'm measuring.

Another question too, im not sure if the forks on my bike are the 34 or 35 mm ones. Is that an outside diameter or inside diameter measurement? I am looking for replacement springs for them, but need to know what I'm measuring.

I could use the measurement on xs400 shocks (outside diameter). I am looking to get gaiters for them and need to know what size to get (too lazy to go measure it / not there!).

I am looking at a slightly straighter set of bars, though I coldnt find any pictures of "vincent" bars when I looked. Could you provide one?

anyone know the answer to this measurement question?

could be 33, 34 or 35mm which is measured out side diameter. it has nothing to do with the springs, you need to take one out to measure it

just done a google search and this came up

http://xs500.org/XS500e.htm

could be 33, 34 or 35mm which is measured out side diameter. it has nothing to do with the springs, you need to take one out to measure it

just done a google search and this came up

http://xs500.org/XS500e.htm

Yeah, i found that site when i was considering buying this bike. it was one of the only xs500 sites that had any substance to it.

sorry to keep asking you all of these questions, but ive really got no other way to learn :blink:

i assume measuring the diameter of the spring, not its length... my problem is finding the original stock length of the springs, so i can get replacements.

i will just keep wandering the internet though, and hopefully i will run across one :)

Yeah, i found that site when i was considering buying this bike. it was one of the only xs500 sites that had any substance to it.

sorry to keep asking you all of these questions, but ive really got no other way to learn :blink:

i assume measuring the diameter of the spring, not its length... my problem is finding the original stock length of the springs, so i can get replacements.

i will just keep wandering the internet though, and hopefully i will run across one :)

if you measure the length and the width of the spring, I'll check mine and we'lll see if they are the same!!

Yamaha used parts bins across their model ranges

if you measure the length and the width of the spring, I'll check mine and we'lll see if they are the same!!

It will be a few days until i have the time to check it, probably on saturday.... that gives me a few days to get a metric caliper and something to measure length with (meter stick if i cant find a metric tape measure)

It will be a few days until i have the time to check it, probably on saturday.... that gives me a few days to get a metric caliper and something to measure length with (meter stick if i cant find a metric tape measure)

if you have a meteicr ruler, you can always use string and then measure your string.

if you have a meteicr ruler, you can always use string and then measure your string.

i dont have one, and i would probably stretch it slightly and measure wrong. difference between 34 and 35mm could easily be taken up in stretch.....

i did consider that though.

i found a set of calipers at a local parts store for cheap, but they had to order them because they are metric.... :rolleyes:

had a bit of nice luck today - a custom engine shop in town went out of business (bad for them, good for me) and is selling off all of its tools etc.

walked out with a set of snap-ring pliers with 4 different size/angle heads and a metric caliper for $8.... :)

anyway, here are the measurements drewpy...

Fork OD: 34mm

Spring OD: 23mm

Spring ID: 13mm

Spring Length: 48cm

What do yours measure out to?

had a bit of nice luck today - a custom engine shop in town went out of business (bad for them, good for me) and is selling off all of its tools etc.

walked out with a set of snap-ring pliers with 4 different size/angle heads and a metric caliper for $8.... :)

anyway, here are the measurements drewpy...

Fork OD: 34mm

Spring OD: 23mm

Spring ID: 13mm

Spring Length: 48cm

What do yours measure out to?

youv'e got more luck, my xs400D spring is exactly the same as yours :D

If you go to progressive rate springs, the springs are a bit longer and a little harder to fit as you have to compress the spring more

youv'e got more luck, my xs400D spring is exactly the same as yours :D

If you go to progressive rate springs, the springs are a bit longer and a little harder to fit as you have to compress the spring more

good, i was worried that they might be worn and need replacing.

one more thing to check off on the list!

i contacted the people at RAASK, and they did have rearsets made up for the xs500, but they wanted $300 + $65 shipping for them.

i guess if I decide to go the cafe route eventually, that I will just have to find a bike shop in town or a metal fab shop that can make some for me.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online