XT 500 frame number

iansthumper
This post is 6064 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guy's and Gals, :D

I have a great looking XT500, which from what I can make out has a 1980 engine, tank and seat, but has a frame circa 1976. When I bought the bike it had a Q plate, and I was told that this was because the frame number was unreadable and therefore the DVLA could not varify the date of manufacture. Is there any way of getting it off the Q plate, as I would like to get an age related plate. I would appreciate any information on how to go about this.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a great looking XT500, which from what I can make out has a 1980 engine, tank and seat, but has a frame circa 1976. When I bought the bike it had a Q plate, and I was told that this was because the frame number was unreadable and therefore the DVLA could not varify the date of manufacture. Is there any way of getting it off the Q plate, as I would like to get an age related plate. I would appreciate any information on how to go about this.

Thanks

that frame number might just be buried under a few dozen coats of paint...

a wire brush might bring it to the surface?

Thanks

the VJMC helps with that sort of thing. Its best to conact them!

I think that you might be able to register using the identifyable engine number. This will give you by date of manufacture a non Q plate.

Try using a pencil and paper tracing method on the frame number area. If you can get most of it, the manufactureer might be able to help with the rest.