motorcycle crash statistics

pnoidrummer
This post is 5594 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Returning after a few years away I must admit ,I'm catious of the clown ahead in the volvo .Always have been since 20yrs ago getting multiple broken bones in a van ,yip passanger in a van versus tractor ,cow shager came of the best .These days can't afford to break anymore so I'm the biker watching way up the road .

At the end of the day if it happens it happens ,can't live in a blanket all your life ,crash on bike ,drown in bath after two many bottles lol or drop dead with a heart attack ,only one there you might avoid is the bath :rolleyes:

Ah well happy safe riding to all old and new.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i guess i'm asking really, if you were a good rider, able to predict movements of cars,

Yeh buddy u gotta go for it .. [ to hell with waiting for the incontinent pants] Juntions and cross-roads thats where the biggest danger is [ blind old car drivers ] ---- . slacken off before u get there.

Yeh and iv done the full sumersault over the car at juntion ,, broken leg 1976.

I was charged& fined-- the lady was comforted by police and nothing said... :angry: No compensation in them days, got bollicking from pigs and lift to hospital.. 3month old bike wrecked,,, [those were the days] :lol:

iono i guess i'm in despair of not getting one now because of discouragement.

I think you may have the right mindset to become a safe rider someday, but think you may need to reconsider your choice for a first bike. An R6 is NOT a good bike for true beginners to be on, let alone an R1. New riders that have never ridden before, that go out and buy bikes like these are the ones you see on Youtube and on the 11 o'clock news spattered all over the highway, or a car. I would recommend that you take the MSF beginners course before buying anything, then depending on your physical size, maybe get yourself something like a Ninja 250/500, or a GS500 to learn on for a while. As a new rider, you'd be very hard pressed to ride any of these bikes anywhere near their maximum abilities, they are much more capable than you (and even most experienced street riders) are. If you go out riding with your friends that ride supersport bikes, remember to "ride your own ride", meaning don't push yourself beyond your personal limits in both comfort and skill level, that's when bad bad bad things happen. If your friends can't or refuse to stop and wait for you to catch up once in a while, find new friends to ride with. Also most new riders (and old experienced riders) drop their bikes from time to time when comming to a stop and putting a foot down on oil, hitting gravel pulling into a driveway while still on the front brake too hard etc. A bike without full fairings is much cheaper to fix after a low/no speed drop than an R6/GSXR/Ninja/CBR would be. Figure $500 minimum for new fairings if you drop the bike while putting the side stand down (or forgetting to), and only damage the plastic on one side. A non faired bike may only cost you $50 for a new mirror and a brake or clutch lever.

I'm a born again biker, back into it now for two years and touch wood never had a moment. Went the right way as in had lessons , have kept alert, cause I am a twat of a car driver and there are loads of us out there. I am much improved at car driving as I am aware how much damage a carless moment could do. One thing I have picked up on is the poor condition of the roads in the UK at least in the Northwest,

Getting myself signed up for a Bike safe course run by the local police as soon as possible, everyone I have spoke to advises it is money well spent. Do not run with a pack as there is always someone who thinks they are quicker than Rossie.

Enjoy and stay within yourself, stay safe. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I've just had my third spill in 2yrs....

In my experience riding is all about thinking ahead and reacting to what stupid car drivers are doing.

Here in London we have stupid people who cross the road in front of vans and buses and dont look at the side of the road they're on but are already looking at the road the otherway some of the reponses I get when I have to brake suddenly are unbelievable... one woman said to me 'can I cross the road' like I should'nt have been there I wont post my reply but you can guess what I said to her.I've hit a man running across the road cos he was late for work bike was trashed and his face and arm smashed too bits.... I said to him as we waited for police now your 6 months late for work.

we should introduce jay walking like the states!

You can do everything in your power to defend against injury but you cant play at being god if it's your time to go then so be it.

I have broken my right hand smashed my knee cartilage to bits,lost my spleen,smashed my face up..... but I still choose to ride cause if I did'nt ride I'd die from the inside out!

p.s. if you've got the right gear on at all times most spills will just make you feel alive and lucky to be here on earth!

checklist;Helmet(a good one),gloves(armoured), knee & hip armour & leathers and some more armour just in case!! oh did I mention the ARMOUR..

I was a cop for 6 years, and have been a rider for 3. I can tell you, having been on BOTH sides of this thing, that no statistic will ever tell you how many riders caused their own fatal wrecks, how many other cars caused the fatal wrecks, or what. Unless you're there to watch, and see with your own eyes, what happened leading up to a serious or fatal wreck, there is no way at all to truly know what went on and what the contributing factors were. No bean counter in any government office compiling statistics for a living will ever be able to give accurate numbers.

Suffice it to say that if you are aware of your surroundings, you ride safely as you were taught in an MSF course, and you wear the proper gear, you drastically reduce your chances of injury or death in the event of a wreck. You might even say that you reduce your chances of a wreck at all. However, none of that is completely foolproof. You might be riding around and not see that scattering of sand in the corner, low-side at a slow speed, slide to the outside of the corner and just happen to hit a pole with your head or something like that. You never know. You could be hauling ass down the road, have someone pull out in front of you, and you're just lucky enough that their car is lower than your bike and you just get flung over the car and slide down the road for a ways, avoiding all injury.

Buy a bike, go have the limitless fun that all of us riders enjoy, but be safe and responsible about it. No one out there is looking out for you but you. Drive knowing that everyone else is going to wreck you if they get a chance. No matter how paranoid you are, you can still have tons of fun. I do. :D

btw, I'm new to the boards, I'm Swirlie, nice to meet you all!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online