XVS125 Dragstar am I too big enough???

pants
This post is 3639 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello newbie to this site, but loving it already

Im looking to buy an xvs125 very soon, but I sat on a 54 plate xvs125 today at a dealers and was wonering it im to big for it.

Im 6 foot 3 and 15.5 stone.

Is anyone else a big man driving one of these? do you manage okay?

Has anyone invented? or do they sell a seat which moves back a bit? or a new seat which replaces the other two

so I can sit further back?, or can I move the original seat back somehow?

Please help looking to buy one ASAP

Regards

Pantsdavies

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Do you have to buy a bike this size? A 650cc would be more suitable for your power to weight ratio.

Pass your test first and then decide.

Have thought of this but you can pick a tidy xvs125 around a £1000- £1500, the 650's are more like £2000 to £3000 arnt they?

The bike will only be used for back and for to work, so no real speed and power needed, just hoping I will be comfortable riding a 125 being a taller chap.

• 3 weeks later...

Pants, just in case you're still looking for answers...

I've recently got a 125 Dragstar. I'm a smidge over 6 foot, and go about 16.5 stone in the bike gear. Ride feels comfortable enough, but it doesn't generate much in the way of speed! About 52 mph on a fair stretch of dual carriageway is the top end so far.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

I've just bought a 2000 dragstar to get into biking and as a cheep alternative to my car to get me to work and back. I'm 6,1 16 stone. It's fine as size goes, very comfy, and if you're not bothered about speed I’d recommend one.

Guest Brian Bonner

Does my bum look big on this? :lol::lol::lol:

Yes, but that spandex makes it look even worse! :lol:

(runs for the hills, wait, do you brits even have hills?! ;) )

You are around 98 kg and the maximum load given in the handbook is 183 kg, so you're OK, just don't take your twin brother for a spin!

My daughter's mate is 6'7" and finds my XVS125 far more comfortable than his Chinese Suzuki copy enduro.

The rider/machine mass ratio means that you will find the bike quite 'chuckable', whereas I, at 5'8" and 62 kg, find it quite good exercise to drop in and pull up on slow corners. At a full kerb-weight of 185kg, this is quite a heavy bike for the swept volume of the engine and requires a lot of clutch/throttle balance to get the best out of it. Having said that, I love mine to bits and look forward to every ride on it.

Park it next to a Ferrari and see which machine gets the looks!

• 1 month later...

I recently bought my XVS 125, I'm 6'2" and roughly 18st. The ride is beautiful, I've had it up to 68mph on a dual carriageway, and it feels brilliantly stable on corners (well, better than the YBR 125 I learnt on). I would say that you shouldn't have a problem with it at your size (although you won't be able to throw it around quite as much as I can...).

D

• 3 weeks later...

, I've had it up to 68mph on a dual carriageway,

D

68mph, due due, I bought a 2004 xvs 125 with 3200 miles on it, i do feel comforable riding it but i struggle to

more then 55 - 60 mph flat out, anyone know why this would be?????????

Ah cheers slyder just read your reply of 52 miles an hour so I guess this is normal

okay, is there anything I can do to make it go a little faster

Any help would be great fells

regards

• 1 month later...

i'm 6ft2 and the only thing i'd say is this. i had to tilt the handlebars up in order to stop them hitting my knees when i had to pull a u turn on my test, i couldn't turn tightly enough otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello newbie to this site, but loving it already

Im looking to buy an xvs125 very soon, but I sat on a 54 plate xvs125 today at a dealers and was wonering it im to big for it.

Im 6 foot 3 and 15.5 stone.

Is anyone else a big man driving one of these? do you manage okay?

Has anyone invented? or do they sell a seat which moves back a bit? or a new seat which replaces the other two

so I can sit further back?, or can I move the original seat back somehow?

Please help looking to buy one ASAP

Regards

Pantsdavies

TOO BIG MY ARSE!! ( POSSIBLY? ) I know I'm just a newbie to this club site and I'm supposed to mind me manners, but If I can fit comfortably onto one of these things then any one can. I'm an impressive 19 stone of relaxed muscle ( and god only knows what that is in kilo's ) and I've just picked up the same bike as you last week end. Rode it home from Milton Keans to Wallasey near Liverpool (176 miles ) , kept to a steady 60mph ( actually hit 75mph with a prevailing wind, down hill. ) wieght to power ratio not too much of a problem I'd say. The lanky legs might prove to be a problem though. Ive only a 29" inside leg ( no puns please ) and I found that the bike fitted me fine.

I do think it could do with de restricting to save on engine wear. So if anyone knows the secret, let me know. the best thing you could do is ask for a test drive and try to cover the distance you would usually cover when comuting. If it's comfy buy one, if not you might be better off getting a trialy instead. My mate Andy has just had a go ( he's 6'2" ) but his legs are roughly the same size as his body. He says it's OK for him. Maybe it's a body to legs size ratio problem to be addressed. Good luck & all the best Ogri

• 5 weeks later...

hi i know this topic was started a while ago, but i had to add something.

i bought the xvs 125 in may 2007. first time i'd ever sat on a motorbike was the day i picked it up and did my CBT. i am 19 stone and 6ft2, and i live near swansaea south wales. so as you can imagine, theres lots of mountains around. so my baby works hard. but it works well. i rode it to the bulldog bash in stratford (and got congratulated by the hells angels for my good effort..) last summer and had no problems. i have a 33 leg-long... and although i am soon to do my test and change for a bigger model it has served its purpose very well.

you will enevatablly reach the point that you will want a little more power and then its time for the direct access. but my reason for this is cos of all these mountains around here. if you mostly gonna ride on the flat or motorways, then you'll be happy for a good while...

TOO BIG MY ARSE!! ( POSSIBLY? ) I know I'm just a newbie to this club site and I'm supposed to mind me manners, but If I can fit comfortably onto one of these things then any one can. I'm an impressive 19 stone of relaxed muscle ( and god only knows what that is in kilo's ) and I've just picked up the same bike as you last week end. Rode it home from Milton Keans to Wallasey near Liverpool (176 miles ) , kept to a steady 60mph ( actually hit 75mph with a prevailing wind, down hill. ) wieght to power ratio not too much of a problem I'd say. The lanky legs might prove to be a problem though. Ive only a 29" inside leg ( no puns please ) and I found that the bike fitted me fine.

I do think it could do with de restricting to save on engine wear. So if anyone knows the secret, let me know. the best thing you could do is ask for a test drive and try to cover the distance you would usually cover when comuting. If it's comfy buy one, if not you might be better off getting a trialy instead. My mate Andy has just had a go ( he's 6'2" ) but his legs are roughly the same size as his body. He says it's OK for him. Maybe it's a body to legs size ratio problem to be addressed. Good luck & all the best Ogri

• 5 years later...