XT600z gearbox

andy1201
This post is 6072 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everybody,first post so please be gentle,I have been fixing up an old (1989)xt600z tenere that had been slowly rotting away for the last 7 years and it just passed an M.O.T. today(yee ha)Might have a few questions so here's the first,the bike feels great and runs well apart from trying to engage neutral,is this normal for the bike?Any info on XT's will be gratefully accepted as it's my first bike with a dry sump,

Cheers Andy :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum Andy

Not sure if my info is pertinant to your Tenere? :unsure: .......

But my XT550 feels the same way regerding finding neutral.........after riding it daily for the past 3 years, I've found that locating neutral is a bit easier while the bike is still rolling ;) ....

XT gearbox's tend to feel a bit Notchy in general,

again though, dealing with that comes easier with more riding time, ;)

Remember also that oil changes on Dry Sump systems, require the removal of 2 drainplugs....

1 for the reservoir (mine's located on the frame downtube)....&1 for the crankcase (mine's down below the primary sprocket)

Hope that helps @ least a wee bit.....just my 2 cents really

Hi lads,thanks for the replys,done 150miles on the XT today and was engaging neutral while the bike was still rolling,seem to be the easiest way,found the bike a big difference from my bandit(have to plan overtakes a bit more)but on the back roads it was great fun and very comfy.Put in £15's worth of petrol(3 gallons)and still couldn't see it in the tank(huge thing)but still not on reserve after 150 miles,is this pretty good or normal?

cheers Andy

Hi Andy, have one of those tenere,s meself, great fun. i found if you give the throttle a blip whilst engaging neutral its much easier. :D

Hi joe(hope thats your name)I think I'll keep it for a while as a second bike,have you seen the M.C.N this week the new Tenere looks a bit of all right,fancy one of those(hope the wife can't see this),maybe next year,is your tenere reliable as I might be taking mine round the coast of Scotland next week,

cheers Andy :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,first post so please be gentle,I have been fixing up an old (1989)xt600z tenere that had been slowly rotting away for the last 7 years and it just passed an M.O.T. today(yee ha)Might have a few questions so here's the first,the bike feels great and runs well apart from trying to engage neutral,is this normal for the bike?Any info on XT's will be gratefully accepted as it's my first bike with a dry sump,

Cheers Andy :D

Me thinks you should have let that pil'o crap just rot away!!! :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online