A realistic expectation from a RXS100 ???

Alvin Straight
This post is 6087 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am by no means an experienced rider, but lets say I want to live all the "in at the deep end" "road adventure" cliches, and lets say I want to that with a 1995 RXS100...

...Now someone tell me how unrealistic i'm being!

Otherwise, anyone with any long term, long distance experience with an RXS100 could put me straight on the pros and cons of attempting to ride the thing as far as, perhaps, Switzerland and back.

The adventure may or may not start here?!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's a bit harsh Yoda - ah the romance of the little yammy strokers with the crap electrics!!

Seriously - if you look after them they'll go for miles and miles so Switzerland and back should be no problem - I've got a mate who's been all they way down to Portugal and back on a psychadellic Honda 90, and is contemplating Italy next year and across the states the year after so anything is possible. What you have to remember with these bikes is:

1. Take plenty of spare spark plugs.

2. Remember that the 6v electrics are pretty crap so travelling at night is like peering into the gloom with a half dead torch, and braking + indicating at the same time is just too much!

3. The ride is none too comfy so be prepared for plenty of stops .

4. Recommended reading before you go - Travels with a Donkey... by Robert Louis Stevenson

Good luck....and if you go send us the piccy's

:D

Thats plenty helpful Fosdyke, and motivating all the same... "Spark Plugs" - see now, thats just the advice i'm looking for.

I'll schedule the trip for Spring next year - it'll probably be a round trip to Switzerland, then up through Czech Rep. and if i'm feeling particularly cocky I may just carry on to Finland then Norway!

I'll be sure to let everyone in on the posture damaging one-man travelling carnival...

My regards to everyone.

If adventure riding is your thing you should check out the following website and click on the e-zine link for people currently traveling.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

More people have been around the world on a honda plac than any other machine (they are easier to pull out of ditches ect than a big GS type bike) but the availabillity and cost of 2-stroke oil could cause problems, personally a 4-stroke would be better. Ideal would be a serrow 225 single trailie.

Bob

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online