Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro

Alex
This post is 6053 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

• Admin

Hi fellow Yamaha riders.

Thank you for reading this post as i know it has nothing to do with motorbikes. I am raising money for the Amani Children's Home in Tanzania by battling altitude sickness climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro (the Worlds 4th Highest mountain) on the 1st of September.

The Amani Children's Home rescues children from the perils of life on the streets in Tanzania, who face a high risk of HIV transmission and malnutrition. Whilst in Tanzania I will also be visiting the children's home and meeting the children and careers there.

Amani really is a fantastic charity. Unlike a large, international charity that has fundraisers sitting in offices writing adverts back in London, Amani is a small, grass-roots charity that is making a huge difference. Amani adheres to strict accounting standards which are overseen by the international trustees of the charity.

At Amani a little really does go a long way. Here are just some of the figures:

* $20 (£12) - Feeds one child for one month

* $50 (£28) - Provides medical care for one child for one year

* $150 (£83) - Pays complete primary school fees (tuition, fees, uniform, school lunch, etc.) for one child

* $348 (£178) - Provides full care for one child for a year (school, clothing, food, medical care, and counseling)

Kilimanjaro is the highest mountain in Africa and the largest freestanding mountain in the world (world’s fourth highest peak). It's as cold as -20°C and 19,340 Feet.

I'm covering all of the costs of the trip from my own money so 100% of your donation will go to the Amani Children’s Home. So please feel free to sponsor me for each toe that drops off, or how high I make it until I'm bending over with altitude sickness the choice is yours ;-)

Wish me luck, and I do hope you can sponsor me. No matter how small the amount, every penny helps.

My online sponsorship page is here: http://www.justgiving.com/alexasigno2

Donating through the JustGiving site is simple, fast and totally secure. It is also the most efficient way to sponsor me: The Amani Childrens Home will receive your money faster and, if you are a taxpayer, an extra 28% in tax will be added to your gift at no cost to you.

So if you would like to support the cause please sponsor me

http://www.justgiving.com/alexasigno2

Thanks guys

Alex

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey there Alex, Wow mate thats one hell of a trip, my thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone who is taking part and what a great cause, I really hope you do well GOOD LUCK

You have to post up :photo2: when you get back

Take care dude ;)

• Admin

Thanks for the sponsorship Drewpy B)

Thundercat i'm sure it will be the hardest thing i have ever done. It is supposed to be the easiest mountain to climb up, but from speaking to people who have done it before the real killer is the altitude. As of course you cant train for altitude sickness, and obviously i dont have any big mountains near me i can use to acclimatise ;)

I'm hoping that my D80 will continue to work at -20C so i can get some photos at the summit, i will post it up once im back and recovered...

Cheers guys

• 1 month later...

Who the h*ll gives a crap about some kids in Tanzania? We should worry about our own first don't you think?

Why send your money over there to those cash seeking pity cases.

Just had some kids over from Tanzania to our scout night. The local school raised money to bring them over, as the teachers who went over on hols last year were so moved.

These kids have nothing, I was so moved by their selflessness and eagerness to please. They came over in a T-shirt and a pair of trousers as that's all they owned. people donated shoes and socks for them and we all moan about not having this and that. It certainly makes you think.

even the poorest people here have a lot more than these kids do.

we are on this world to make things better for everyone, the selffish can go to Hell!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Well im home finally, and really need to get my arse out and stick a post up with the details and some photos once i have the time after trying to catch up with my work.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online