First bike, 1975 xs500b (introductions)

jrhendryx
This post is 5304 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey there, ive already posted in a couple of other people's threads, and decided that instead of hijacking everyone elses, that i would go ahead and make my own. I bought my first bike on tuesday, and as mentioned above it is a 1975 xs500b. i did a little bit of research on this before i bought it, and still decided to go for it, even though everything i read said that the parts were a nightmare to find.

$400 plus a helmet, and its in pretty good condition. apparently the story on it goes something like this:

1 owning family - grandpa got if for grandma brand new in 75. grandma promptly ran it into a ditch and it sat for the next 15-20 years. dad pulled it out, tinkered with it, and got it running. son tuned it up so it purrs, though i can tell by listening that the carbs are ever so slightly out of sync.

the speedo was replaced a year or so ago, and wasnt working prior to that, so im not sure how many miles it has, but im guessing around 8-10k.

here are a couple of pictures....

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

so far, only having had it for 3 days, ive already managed to tip it over in my storage unit, cracking one of the side covers and snapping the knob off the end of the clutch lever. DOH! its a noob move.

anyway, i only have one question at the moment.

on the petcocks (there are two for some reason) which end of the switch actually points at the selection? the tip of the switch, or the round portion? if im not being clear, let me know.

i dont want to be running around on reserve all the time, and get stuck somewhere because i ran totally out of gas.

thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You should check the tyres (tires) to find out how old they are. They could be rotten and burst on you. Well done though!!

the guy i bought it from showed me the receipt, they were bought a year and a half ago, and have roughly 700 miles on them.

The Reserve valves should have the small or short (round) pointing towards what you want selected. On my 75 XS500B the right petcock valve long stem is pointing straight back with the short or round forward when it is in reserve. And on my left petcock, it is opposite. When in reserve mode, the longer portion is pointing forward. The first time I ran into Reserve I pointed both petcocks the same direction not thinking that they were the same part #. I had my left carb in OFF mode and the bike wouldn't start. Good thing for KICKSTART after I figured it out! :)

Oh yeah, nice looking bike. Is that the original stock exhaust and handlebars?

Do you have any oil leakage on your engine?

Hope this helps!

Dan

The Reserve valves should have the small or short (round) pointing towards what you want selected. On my 75 XS500B the right petcock valve long stem is pointing straight back with the short or round forward when it is in reserve. And on my left petcock, it is opposite. When in reserve mode, the longer portion is pointing forward. The first time I ran into Reserve I pointed both petcocks the same direction not thinking that they were the same part #. I had my left carb in OFF mode and the bike wouldn't start. Good thing for KICKSTART after I figured it out! :)

Oh yeah, nice looking bike. Is that the original stock exhaust and handlebars?

Do you have any oil leakage on your engine?

Hope this helps!

Dan

im unsure if its the stock handle bars, but the exhaust is stock (though someone has bobbed them down to the baffles).

no oil leaks on the engine that i can see or find, no leaks at all :)

• 9 months later...

Hey there, ive already posted in a couple of other people's threads, and decided that instead of hijacking everyone elses, that i would go ahead and make my own. I bought my first bike on tuesday, and as mentioned above it is a 1975 xs500b. i did a little bit of research on this before i bought it, and still decided to go for it, even though everything i read said that the parts were a nightmare to find.

$400 plus a helmet, and its in pretty good condition. apparently the story on it goes something like this:

1 owning family - grandpa got if for grandma brand new in 75. grandma promptly ran it into a ditch and it sat for the next 15-20 years. dad pulled it out, tinkered with it, and got it running. son tuned it up so it purrs, though i can tell by listening that the carbs are ever so slightly out of sync.

the speedo was replaced a year or so ago, and wasnt working prior to that, so im not sure how many miles it has, but im guessing around 8-10k.

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

so far, only having had it for 3 days, ive already managed to tip it over in my storage unit, cracking one of the side covers and snapping the knob off the end of the clutch lever. DOH! its a noob move.

on the petcocks (there are two for some reason) which end of the switch actually points at the selection? the tip of the switch, or the round portion? if im not being clear, let me know.

i dont want to be running around on reserve all the time, and get stuck somewhere because i ran totally out of gas.

thanks!

The long side of the lever is the one that tells you what you are running on.

Do you still have this bike?

I need the top trim piece on the left side cover. Just looking for one to restore my bike to original. I have two of these bikes, neither has the piece I need.

The long side of the lever is the one that tells you what you are running on.

Do you still have this bike?

I need the top trim piece on the left side cover. Just looking for one to restore my bike to original. I have two of these bikes, neither has the piece I need.

I figured out the petcock positioning after running out of gas..... lesson learned.

I sure do still have it, but it looks like the pic I posted on your other thread. ebay for the trim piece. ive seen several on there, including the mesh (which you have to get seperately).

• 3 months later...

man i just got one of these too for my girlfriend. the only weird thing on it is the previous owner put a straight seat on instead of the normal seat. where did you get the seat on yours? its nice and would be alot better.

Why dont you get yours re sculptured, I know tony Archer from Huddersfield does nice work...But there are others too!

man i just got one of these too for my girlfriend. the only weird thing on it is the previous owner put a straight seat on instead of the normal seat. where did you get the seat on yours? its nice and would be alot better.

this seat came on my bike... it doesnt quite fit square, so i am not sure where the previous owner came up with it.

Actually, the straight seat is the normal one for that year and model. You have to get an aftermarket seat if you want a step style...or customize one to fit.

• 1 year later...

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

thanks!

Shit, I wish my bike looked as good as yours. lol.

10218_584523458597_45601142_34126525_1001765_n.jpg

10218_584523428657_45601142_34126521_6141856_n.jpg

10218_584523443627_45601142_34126523_3935932_n.jpg

10218_584523448617_45601142_34126524_6498133_n.jpg

Still in early stages of cafe racer conversion. I am sure I will be back for help later.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online