Tyre recommendations for SPOKED wheels on XVS1100 Custom

Red Reynard
This post is 903 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, all,

I have recently bought a XVS1100 Dragstar custom which has Dunlop K555s front and rear. The machine wriggles like a greased weasel when it encounters a joint or tar-snake on the road. I have upped the pressures to 40psi, resulting in only a mild improvement.

I can't believe that this is the natural characteristic of the machine, nor has it ever been dropped of damaged - so it must be the tyres.

So, over to you, my fellow XVS pilots - what would be your recommendation, and why. Your input would be gratefully received, and may well save me forking out for a different set of tyres that still don't do the job.

Cheers for your time

Red

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not an xvs pilot but i would suggest checking your spokes are even, your steering head bearings are good and unless you have a receipt or other info, look for the date code on the tyres and see how old they are. Low mileage cruisers/customs can easily have tyres 10, 15years old or more.

Hi, Cynic,

thanks for replying.

I thought about the spokes and headstock, both appear to be good. The bike is 2000 reg, and only done 8.5k; so the tyres are good - although I must admit I hadn't thought of checking the date stamp. I know the front needs changing in the next thousand or so miles, and the rear has a bit more on it.

I'm trying to find out if this is a common issue with the K555s regardless of their age (before I fork out for another set), and whether there is a better alternative. I've spent hours trawling for information, but most of it seems to point to tubeless tyres (Michelin, Metzler, Pirelli, etc) for alloy wheels - although both the 1100 Custom, and Classic models come with spoked wheels.

Cheers

Red

At 8500miles im guessing those tyres with a bit left are the originals, the front is likely chopped and the rear profile is likely well off. Add to that the likelyhood of being 20+ years old. I will admit to being a bit of a tyre fusspot, they are so important and people run them till the tread is on the limit when in truth they are actually dead as a worthwhile part of the bike long before. I always replace as a pair too. But then i ride a vmax set up for cornering so...

After years on a super stable sports tourer you may need some miles to get used to the different style of riding.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm keen to replace both as soon as possible, Cynic.

I realise that the Yam is VERY different to the big tourers I've had in the past; but surely not so different in stability. I generally replace tyres as a pair before they are u/s, too, unless one has suffered catastrophic damage early on - to me it just seems like common sense.

Hopefully there are others out there who will chip in their tuppence worth, and I'll have a bit of a steer as to what to go with.

Cheers, Cynic.

Red

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online