YZF R6

kriss
This post is 6187 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone got my bike test very soon (Direct Access). Have Been looking at the R6 for my first bike, awesome looking bikes particularly in blue. Am new too bikes but not fast machinery as own a Mitsubishi Evolution but I am inexperienced in riding bikes, but the way I see it the bike will only go as fast as you want it :D . Is there anything in particular to look out for in buying an early R6 (99-02), whats involved and at what mileage is a major service and most importantly what are they like too ride any comments would be great thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

High mate. The main thing as with any bikes is damage due to being dropped. On R6's the main service intervals are 12,000 and 24,000 miles both costing over £250.

Regards

Hi Kriss

Just be careful with one of the older R6's as they aren't very forgiving. The front end comes up too easily and tank slappers are common, also the back end is twitchy.

I've replied to this same topic before from someone else, so you could search for this to get more info. But to state some info from experienced riders/journalist, you should have at least 10,000 miles of sports bike riding before buying one of the older R6's.

I know you say a bike will only go as fast as you make it but if your currently driving an Evo, your going to be the kind of person who like's there speed, and because a bike is so easy to do that you will ... regardless of what you say. On something like the 99-02 R6 you need to be able to read exactly what the bike is telling you, otherwise it will throw you off, as a novice rider your just not going to have that experience. I myself ride an R6 but I bought an 04 which is more predicatable, so if you can afford to buy newer then an 03 - 05 R6 would be better.

What ever you decide mate, have fun but be safe.

Thanks for the comments guys, ChrisW Il take on board your comments on the early R6 and try and test ride some late ones also it's just the money thats keeping me from buying a later bike but if the early ones are that unpredictable then I may have too look at other manufactures :( .

Thanks for the comments guys, ChrisW Il take on board your comments on the early R6 and try and test ride some late ones also it's just the money thats keeping me from buying a later bike but if the early ones are that unpredictable then I may have too look at other manufactures :( .

What about looking for a more forgiving bike? (I know what many people think about bikes with less hp...), perhaps a Suzuki SV650. I have been riding thumpers since -89, very fun to ride hard perhaps not for two on longer journeys.

Rather than go for another Manufacturer, why don't you choose something like the Thundercat (YZF 600 R), It's a little bigger than an R6, more comfortable, uses the same engine, albeit slightly de-tuned for better Midrange, it's solid, reliable, excellent MPG.

Better that than go for 99 - 02 R6 equivilent from another Manufacturer.

Kwak ZX6 - Most people who I know have Kwaks all moan about startng them when cold and build quality is questionable.

Honda CBR600F - The XR3i of the bike world, everyone one's either got one or knows someone who's got one, boring to own boring to ride.

Suzuki GSX600R - Similiar to R6 in that it's too much of a hooligans bike and again build quality is questionable. Poor Cam Chain tensioners, annoyingly rattly front pads.

Guest Tomg

i would suggest the t-cat as well!

what about a hornet?? with money wise you can afford quite a recent model compared to prices of late r6's :)

i would suggest the t-cat as well!

what about a hornet?? with money wise you can afford quite a recent model compared to prices of late r6's :)

Way too thirsty, everyone I know who's got a hornet moans like hell about the fuel consumption.

• 8 months later...

Hi All.

I am a newcomer to this site, and to Yamaha(been riding Honda for 20 years)

I'v just bought an '02 R6 trackbike, and read here that it could be at little "nasty" some times!

I have just come off an '93 Fireblade, that too could be very loose in the front. is the R6 like the Blade, when you ride it, or better/worse?

Ronni

Hi All.

I am a newcomer to this site, and to Yamaha(been riding Honda for 20 years)

I'v just bought an '02 R6 trackbike, and read here that it could be at little "nasty" some times!

I have just come off an '93 Fireblade, that too could be very loose in the front. is the R6 like the Blade, when you ride it, or better/worse?

Ronni

Still taking it easyish on mine. I passed my test 3 weeks ago on Tuesday and picked my 04 R6 up straight after passing. Just done over 1000 miles now and it hasn't bitten me yet. The rev range is so long on it you can really control the power delivery so you would have to be stupid to make the bike do something stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

Isnt the insurance cost an option??? I found a sportsbike quite hard to insure when i had just passed, until i got 2 years experience on a sportsbike.......

The fireblade was always known to be a pig, especially the one with the 16" front hoop.

The R6 is a good bike, and when riden hard performs best, but not sure if its a good bike for a novice to learn on, as the line where a lesser bike may give you a warning, the r6 will just spit you. I have learned this the hard way.

Well that my 2p worth.

DONT BOTHER WITH A THUNDERCAT!

IF YOU GOT AN EVO I KNOW YOU'LL GET BORED AFTER 2 MONTHS LIKE I DID - I WENT AND BOUGHT A BRAND NEW GSXR 600

YOU CAN PICK UP A NEW R6 NOW WITH 0%APR - AND YOU'LL BE MUCH HAPPIER WITH IT! PLUS ITS ALOT FASTER THAT A T/CAT.

ALTHOUGH IF YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE YOU SHOULD REALLY BOOK YOURSELF AN ADVANCE RIDERS COURSE AFTER D/A AS YOU WILL LEARN TO BE A BETTER RIDER AFTER DOING SOMETHING LIKE THAT - A GOOD SET OF LEATHERS, HELMET BOOTS, GLOVES AND A TRACK COURSE OR ADVANCED ROAD COURSE ETC..... IS WORTH MORE THAN A CARBON SLIP ON, POWER COMMANDER AND AIR FILTER!

I HAVE A STOCK BIKE - AND DONE ALL THESE COURSES I COULD - AND WHIP THE LADS ON THEIR 1000'S WEEK IN WEEK OUT!

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN.

• 1 month later...

hi kriss im new to riding ive only had a bike for about 10 months , and ive just got myself an 07/r6r , the tank slap thing is with all r6s i think , mine does it , just be carful when you open it up IE: do it on a strait line not over cats eyes and drains , stuff like that coz any thing that makes the wheel go up an a camber . will start of the slap , and also the new r6 has slipper cluch so when you gear down hard the back wheel wont lock up :) if you get an r6 get a steering damper aswell :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online