YZF 750 and then some

Son of Sparkz
This post is 2403 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

well i pretty much covered everything in my Intro so we'll get straight to the point.

This Project Bike was my dads. When we picked it up there were enough parts to probably build two bikes if there had a second frame. Towards the end of dads life he was in so much of a hurry, the Yami was assembled as quick as possible so hopefully he would be able to ride it before he passed. unfortunately his illness stole this dream of a few laps on the Broadford classic track.

When i summoned up the nerve to go into dads shed after he passed my heart broke as i saw this,

pmYKLuw5j

Dads project bike that he worked on right up until he went into Hospice / Palliative Care. When ever he felt well enough he would go out to the shed and do a bit. This is how he left it, just tools down never to come back to it again. i didnt want to move it or touch anything but with the support of my misses i packed it up ready to move.

pm1jWh6bjpmtCrqmgjpmQfHKdCj

My Misses had never towed a bike before and knowing what this bike meant to me i don't think she went over 60KPH all the way to my place. she did awesome though. nothing moved and it arrived safely

pohzh9H2jpnMAejgFj

And there the beast sleeps in storage until i have gone through all dads notes, researched everything i can and cleared some room in my workshop. I had a quick look under the fairing and it's sad to say there are plugs hanging everywhere. i don't think anything was connected, no fuel, no oil and no coolant in the tanks either. From my amateur eye i can also see there is no gear leaver, no ignition barrel, steering dampener is in the box with the ignition barrel, brake calipers are swinging in the breeze and one of the clip ons are bent. When the speedo cable was installed dad also attacked the forks with an angle grinder. (crude i know) It currently has the 750 motor in it and the 1040 is in a million bits to be assembled. I've been told it will also need some machining while being built so fun times ahead. Good thing i'm a qualified mechanical engineer used to working to fine tolerances and have lots of machines at my disposal. I also need to come up with a plan and here is where the questions for you all start. 

Part one of this build will be to get it running with the 750 motor and get it registered on club plates so with that in mind....

Do i take lots of Pics and then tear it down checking everything twice as i put it back together? Do i attempt to continue on from where dad left off?

Cheers

Son of Sparkz

Intro: https://yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/45344-son-of-sparkz/

Current Build: https://yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/45345-yzf-750-and-then-some/

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As you say your auld man was in a hurry to complete. He may have missed something important. I would take loads of pictures before and during the strip down then rebuilt it in tribute to your auld man

Only issue with your plan is the big motor may well be taller, if so the mounts on the frame need moving which is serious work to do when a bike is finished. 

Your dad may have a stroked motor so the size is ok but if its a 750 with 1000 barrels it may be a bit taller, with it being a tribute bike the engine details may only exist in your dads head. I would prob stick with the 750. Keep the hybrid for a follow up.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online