xt 600 1991 rear brake prob

philipkeen
This post is 2728 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all, well i joined this site a few days ago but didnt think i,d need help already but i do.....

just bought a xt 600 1991 that has been standing a while so obviously the brake binds ,so i dismantle the rear brake but although soaking the piston in wd40 i cant get the piston back in , i pressume its push back and not screw?

i have searched but nothing found for the xt600 

cheers all

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Should just push back, however i'd recommend using brake cleaner and NOT wd40.

You may well need to replace the seals in the caliper if they are old and perished

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

If youve taken the piston out and not replaced the seals, theres a chance that the old seals have "swelled" once the piston was out. . If it were me, Id have the old seals out, thoroughly clean everything, check the piston fits ok before fitting the new seals in. Then refit all

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the replys, ive bought the gasket kit now and cleaned the piston ,but the trouble was the sliders,one was so badly corroded it had to be drilled out ,so once they were replaced everything is fine, thanks once again 

• Like 1

I so love the e. wish id never sold mine! pissed oil but never missed a beat.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online