YBR125 chain / sprockets refit - what else should I check whilst the back wheel is off?

dandanthepizzaman
This post is 2765 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Folks - I'm learning my away around bike maintenance, it's secondhand 19k on the clock, with little knowledge of past servicing. I've been recommended refitting the chain and sprockets. I was wondering what you guys would be checking whilst the back wheel is off? I've got the Haynes and am happy to do entry level mechanics myself!

Any thoughts? Cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Removing the rear wheel gives you chance to carry out a mini overhaul of all the components that you would not be able to get to in normal day to day use

So with the back wheel off for the chain and sprocket change, I would look at some of but perhaps not all of the following items

I would check visually the wheel bearings, axle, and spindle for corrosion and wear applying grease in appropriate areas to ensure adequate lubrication is present,

Also I would check the sprocket hub for excessive play in the cushion drive rubbers if the bike design uses them,

With the wheel off it can be cleaned more thoroughly and the braking system can be inspected and cleaned/lubricated where needed including between spokes and in the centre of the wheel,

Also the swing arm can be inspected looking for corrosion (which can be touched up) and play in the swing arm bearings,

Twin shocks can be cleaned and checked more easily also the lower links on a single shock can be cleaned inspected and greased is needed,

The centre stand can be cleaned and inspected too, even the underside of the mud guard can be cleaned too,

The area around the gearbox sprocket could be cleaned and inspected looking for possible leaks around the output shaft,

When I work on my bike or even clean it things can snowball, I cleaned my FJR last week and ended out taking off and re-greasing all the rear suspension pivots,

So my carryings on can be a bit OCD.

• Like 1

I've used kits from there for my bikes and no problems to report so far

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

I use DID chains on my bike, and when I'm asked to fit them for others. Decent brand and the prices are usually relatively good.

Like nayruf said, clean around the front sprocket, a few weeks ago I had to dig my way through 25k of grease, gunk and dirt, you would not believe how long it took. So clean of what's there and check for oil leaks and such in that area.

take photo's before you start to assist with rebuild, just in case you have memory lapses like me.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online