XJ600S power died when turning key

Simon Royle
This post is 2917 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Dear all, 

Took my old 1992 diversion XJ600S out for a spin last week. Drove 160Km on one day, but when I went to start the next day, upon turning the key the lights came on for a second and then everything died. Now no power at all when turning key on and I cannot explain it. 

Checked battery, no problem, 13.19 volts ( spent the winter on a trickle charger). Checked all fused, not avail. 

Anyone a clue where to start looking? 

Thanks,

Simon

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

batteries do have a short life.

nip over the new members section and say hi first

I had a similar issue, turns out it was just gunk and corrosion on my battery terminals, check they're clean and tight. Other than that maybe it'sd an ignition barrel issue?

Could also be dirty contacts inside the ignition barrel? My barrel was full of corrosion after the winter, I filled it with WD40 and clicked it on and off a load of times and it clean itself up. (Don't use WD40, it'll leave oil inside the ignition, I used it because I was in a pinch, use Electrical Contact Cleaner)

It really does sound that the battery has died. How old is the battery?

On my Divvy the battery lasted for ten years, a battery does like to be used regular. As I used mine every working day for ten years it did last a long time but irregular use will shorten the battery life.

One day I went out on the bike and it started perfect. but when I parked the bike to go somewhere for five minutes then came back out the bike just would not start. The battery    literally died there and then.

The only other thing I can think of is, when you try to start it does the oil light come on but no response when you press the starter button?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online