Yamaha RS100

ele
This post is 3015 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello! new to the site... and to bikes :)

I just bought a Yamaha RS100 1976, its seen better days but I wanted a project bike anyway. Its with this I need your help. I was told the RXS shares most of the same parts and I was wondering if I were to buy a 1993 RXS, just how transferable would the parts be? and then also the same question for a RS100 1985?

I greatly appreciate any information and advice you can give me!

Cal

My Bike :)

Yamaha RS100 copy.jpg

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There are still places that will be able to supply you with parts for this machine . If it were me I would strip it down and get all the chrome redone , this is often just as economical as new parts. Tank and panels look ok to repaint and frame can be powder coated.Engine wise I would strip clean and repaint the cases,inspect the bore and piston/rings for wear.I would replace bearings and seals etc as a matter of course while it is in bits.if the bore is at all suspect I would re-bore and go up a size for peace of mind.Apart from elbow grease and re conditioning it looks to be almost all there.Nice project that will be very satisfying to do.I would try and go for as much re conditioning as poss rather than replacing with parts from another model.

WELCOME ELE " they were a bonnie wee bike back then , m I thot the rear light would be like FSIE , 

Actually looks like a lot of the parts might clean up well. I've found with my bike, parts that are hard to find, say bearings, drum shoes, seals etc etc have to be taken from other machines, often you can buy NOS parts or use bits from other bikes that have the same fit, that's what I have to do at least. 

I'd start with the usual tests, does it turn over/compression/spark. Then I'd focus on getting it to run before I start ordering more expensive parts and stripping it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice! Yes I already got the engine going so thats one positive :) The main things (problems) is the seat is completely gone, the metal base has just completely rusted away. The foot rest is missing and the previous owner had done some dodgy welding to the gear shift lever!

So even just looking at replacing these said parts, although I have found them on ebay its running up to about the same cost as just buying another bike! That way I could mix and match the best parts from both bikes, but of course only if the parts are the same :)

Cal

Hi ele , that little bike looks pretty much all there so don't go nuts spending money on it just yet .  Get it running and tidy up what's there and by then you'll know exactly what's needed . Yambits UK will have most of what you need and there is a wealth of experience and good advice on here . The RS was a cracking little bike and yours could be too with some tlc and plenty of elbow grease . Best of luck .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online