having problems with my xvs 125 dragstar 2000model

This post is 3019 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got my bike roughly 2 months ago and have done over 2k miles already, when I got it it only had 8000miles on the clock. Yesterday on my way home from work when I dropped from 3rd gear to 2nd(I was at traffic lights) I heard a clunk, this happened again at the next set of lights. I didn't think anything of this. But today I got caught at lights after travelling 22 miles and when I was sitting waiting for the lights to change (in 1st gear) the bike kept cutting out. I got it idling after a minute or two but when I pull away it stutters and then high revs appear from nowhere. It done this twice more at traffic lights but its finally gave up the ghost and when I try to idle the bike in neutral or first it just cuts out. Its full of petrol but other than that I'm shit out of ideas. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What's your oil level like?

When did you last clean out and rebalance the carbs, check the float heights, set the idle, clean the fuel filter, check the carb boots, etc etc?

Basically anything between fuel tank and the engine itself.

First things first, start with the easy stuff. Take the plugs out and clean them, and set the correct gap. Note if they are sooty/wet etc. Make sure that the screwed metal ferrule is not loose on top of the plugs. Refit them as per the manual.

Remove the air filter and clean it, if it dont come cleaner, then replace it.

Make sure youve got the fuel tap in the correct position

Make sure the choke switch is operating correclty

Charge up the battery

Check the rubber y shaped piece on top of the carb, if its split or loose itll affect performance

I'm working until 830 but as soon as I finish ill make my way to where I abandoned my bike n try all the suggestions, I have downloaded the manual, and I've got step by step instructions bookmarked for most of the checks. I never realised when I bought a bike I was gonna have to learn so much mechanical shit, bloody crazy, but suppose you gotta take the bad with the good eh

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online