Chipped paint advice?

Malleus
This post is 3063 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just wondered if anyone had ideas on preventing chipped paint from getting worse? Atm there is a tiny chip in the paintwork. I imagine overtime with weather etc this will get bigger. Any way to stop this? I had a quick look around and someone suggested super glue? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

NO don't use glue, find a paint match then using a small fine brush fill in the chip with paint till it's just over level, then cutting compound till it's back to flush. Oh and find the person that told you to use glue and kick them in the ankle !!!

• Like 2

Car accessory shops will often have little pots of touch up paint in many colours . The pot has a tiny wire brush built into the cap to remove spots of rust before painting , and a little brush to apply the paint . Careful use of these can hide a multitude . Cost very little .

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. I have used these touch up kits before for bigger jobs. This hole is literally the size of one of the nibs of those touch up pens. But I had noticed a small crack forming - probably from me trying to pick it off thinking it was dirt. I am crap at painting and will likely make a fairly inconspicuous mark stand out a lot more. I'll have a go and try not to make a mess.

Yea I am not worried about aesthetics (well I don't want to make it look worse) more about it deteriorating from water etc. I have found a colour matched paint marker so think I will give it a go, sure it will come in handy in the future anyway. Only £8.

• Like 1

If the markers nib is too big for your chip, dob a bit of paint on a piece of plastic then use something smaller to apply it, possible a tooth pick or a cotton bud.

If you chew the end of a wooden tooth pick slightly it makes a good fine brush.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online