More bike problems, injectors this time

Variomatic
This post is 3071 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right, more problems, when I rev the bike it seems to die a little, but only sometimes. Occasionally I'll run it and it'll perform perfectly, and other time it will die, fall to maybe 500rpm and then suddenly spring to life and rev perfectly fine.

The bike is a 2009 YBR Custom 125 fuel injected, this scares me, I'm fine with carbs, rebuilding a carb and setting it up is easy, but fuel injectors are a totally new things I've never messed with before. Could the dying problem be caused by a dirty fuel injector? And if it is, would fuel injector cleaner work at this point, or is a physical cleaning needed? This is definitely due to it sitting, it's basically not been used since September, it's MOT was due and it needed loads of work I couldn't afford. And there are only so many times a week you can go out and run it.

Also, the spark plug is a good 8k old (I know, don't shout, I hate myself too), obviously it's being replaced, but are torque settings really that important on a spark plug, I don't have £25 to drop on a Torque wrench (and £25 only gets you a crappy wrench) , and every plug I've ever changed (which admittedly is only 10 or 11) has only ever been done up snug and I've never had a problem.

Edited by Variomatic

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Spark plug torque, I've never bothered with it, as you say pinch it up and usually 1/4 turn to seat it properly, you know if you get it wrong cos the dent in the bottom of the tank will show you :lol:, fuel injectors are really common now so if your looking for what to do then youtube is your friend here, all injectors are more or less the same car or bike just bigger or smaller. If you have a fuel filter on your bike check it to see if it's got loads of crud in it, if so then some might have got through to your injector point, clean it out or replace it and that should be about it, then if you can remove the injectors check them for how clean they are and that they aren't obviously blocked. Your manual should have all the info you need to take off and replace the injectors. I've heard nothing but good thing's regarding the YBR on here, seems to be a pretty good all round bike that isn't to hard to fix and fettle.

This might help? https://youtu.be/rLuAVhVp44Y bad sound tho !

This is pretty useful to https://youtu.be/XjA8reEK61I Yamaha official video.

Edited by slice

Spark plug torque, I've never bothered with it, as you say pinch it up and usually 1/4 turn to seat it properly, you know if you get it wrong cos the dent in the bottom of the tank will show you :lol:, fuel injectors are really common now so if your looking for what to do then youtube is your friend here, all injectors are more or less the same car or bike just bigger or smaller. If you have a fuel filter on your bike check it to see if it's got loads of crud in it, if so then some might have got through to your injector point, clean it out or replace it and that should be about it, then if you can remove the injectors check them for how clean they are and that they aren't obviously blocked. Your manual should have all the info you need to take off and replace the injectors. I've heard nothing but good thing's regarding the YBR on here, seems to be a pretty good all round bike that isn't to hard to fix and fettle.

This might help? https://youtu.be/rLuAVhVp44Y bad sound tho !

This is pretty useful to https://youtu.be/XjA8reEK61I Yamaha official video.

The YBR is a great bike, but the custom is like it's fat, more expensive, ugly bother that no one likes. The mechanics are basically identical, and I've taken to just buying stock YBR parts, they usually fit, and if they don't some "massaging" with my tool of gentle persuasion (aka a hammer and a bench grinder) will get them to fit and function properly. Honestly I'd recommend everyone to stay away from the YBR Custom and go for the far better stock YBR, it's needlessly more expensive and just plain unpleasant to ride, then again, that could just be down to all the "gentle persuasion" it's had over the last year and a half, and the fact I've gone off cruisers and an more into classic sport bikes.

I'll try throwing some Redline injector cleaner into the tank and give it the beans on the way to the MOT centre in a bid to try and flush them out, if that fails, a strip and cleaning it will be. As for the plug, I'll just throw one in and get it nice and snug with some anti seize grease on the threads and hope for the best, after all, even if it fucks up, I'll be able to learn from my mistakes

So glad this site exists, I'd be lost without it, I always think I know what I'm doing until I'm elbow deep in the bike, then realise I need someone older with more knowledge to tell me what to do. Thanks.

Check the fuel for water.
I went all round the houses for an answer to my intermittent throttle problem until someone checked this. Would've saved me a few hundred quid.

• Like 2

Yeah it's the simple things that get you every time !!!