Tubed or Tubeless

giddykippa
This post is 3111 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 2002 Yamaha XVS1100A Dragstar Classic with the original spoked wheels im trying to find out if the tires are tubed or tubeless ? i have done a bit of research which says that generally spoked wheels are tubed due to sealing round the spoke ends on the rim however having looked for the inner tubes to have a spare set handy it keeps coming back with tubeless tires can anyone point me in the right direction are they tubed or tubeless ?

paul

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What does it say on the side of the tyre? That is the best way to find out what you have, should be written plain as day.

Image result for motorcycle tyre size information

Hi Paul can I make a suggestion? It helps if you say Hello in the new members section BEFORE you ask a "how do I fix my bike" question' We get loads of one hit wonders on here who ask for help then vanish never to be seen again and they rarely if ever say "thank you" when advice is offered, makes folks wary of first time visitors, obvious really, it's not that we're unwelcoming it's more a "why bother if they won't even say hello", so if you would be so kind to pop over to the above section you might get more help. Just sayin.

Edited by slice

Hi Paul glad to help (if I did of course !) :D

It's difficult to tell on the web but the rims appear to have a raised centre ( trough ) so maybe they're tubeless ! Inner tubes should have a nut holding it in place on the rim. Are yours tubed at the mo but would like to go tubeless ? If so any Yam dealer should know, Dave

Looking on the Yamaha UK website under manuals it says the XVS1100A is fitted with tubed type tyres. Did you get an owners manual with the bike ? It will tell you in there. You can't just fit a tubeless tyre on wheels that were designed for tubed type tyres.

Most spoked wheels can only use tubed tyres , there are a few exceptions e.g BMW's later GS .  Otherwise the air leaks out around the spokeheads (obviously ).  Tubeless tyres can be used with a tube on a spoked rim but the tyre pressure will need to be reduced slightly .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online