XJ6 Coolant Change

shahrie
This post is 3147 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm needing to change the coolant on my XJ6S. Having gone through the manual (and worked out what type of anti-freeze to buy), the only point I'm not sure on is whether it's mandatory to change the 'gasket' on the coolant drain plug (I'd call it a washer personally!)

The manual suggests it should be changed - but I cannot seem to find a part number anywhere for this.

So 2 questions really

- Do I need to change it really? (the bike is 5 years old)

- What is the part number for the 'gasket'? Is it just a standard washer or is it a crush washer like on the oil drain sump plug?

Thanks in advance! :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Usually if they haven't been wound on by a gorilla they are perfectly ok with being use once or twice, if it's split or bent then you have no choice but change it but to be honest it's usually a copper mix type washer and they are fairly common on all vehicles, try your local car factor or bike shop, they will probably have one in a drawer or tool kit that will fit. Most nuts and bolts don't have a part number as such they usually have a measurement like M6 M8 or something similar, try measuring it, across the width of the washer and just get one that has the same diameter and thickness and that should do you right. Obviously the hole in the centre has to be as near as you can but even there you can get away with slightly tighter or looser.

Edited by slice

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online