XT 125r rear brake not great

metalmikky
This post is 3197 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, so I have to press down very hard on the rear brake to get any sort of bite. 

Any thoughts on where to start making fixing it?

Theres plenty fluid in the reservoir and the pads have enough on them.

Bleeding perhaps?

Thanks. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If they are not leaking then change the fluid as most brake fluids are hygroscopic (they absorb water) and over time this makes them less efficient. You could also try a braided hose.

• Like 1

Strip and clean the brake ,( new seals are very inexpensive), The piston may clean up ok , but if it's corroded or pitted replace it , again , not too expensive . And grease the slider pins when you rebuild it .   I don't like braided hose for rear brakes as it can make the brake action very sharp .  I do think they make a great improvement for front brakes though (I had a set on an NC30 , the brakes would nail the thing to the road ) . While you have the brake disassembled  just check the pedal action to rule out  any problems at that end .

Edited by KevtheRev
Afterthought .
  • Like 1

Just bear in mind its only designed to give maybe 20% of your stopping power anyway. It will never be amazing or it will lock up.

• Like 1

Just bear in mind its only designed to give maybe 20% of your stopping power anyway. It will never be amazing or it will lock up.

oh really, ok then maybe it's fine the way it is. I was expecting it to be better than it is thats all as i have to press quite hard to get any stopping power. Maybe I'll start with an easy bleeding and see if that helps. 

oh really, ok then maybe it's fine the way it is. I was expecting it to be better than it is thats all as i have to press quite hard to get any stopping power. Maybe I'll start with an easy bleeding and see if that helps. 

Just look at any sports bike. Massive front brakes. Then on the rear? Pissy little excuse for a brake.

The rear is more use  off road but it is the poor relation.

• 2 weeks later...

Thx for all the replies i found that it's actually a seal in the master cylinder so I'm going to replace it today,  £4 fix and a little of my time. Happy days. 

Thanks for the feedback, not many people report the outcome, glad its sorted, or do we wait for the brake bleeding questions? :D.

:) Haha no bleeding questions, however what I thought was an easy fix turns out not to be. It seems the rear cylinder can not be taken apart which begs the question how did the guy know which seal to give me at the shop.

The seal he gave does not look like it fits on anything brake related.

Im taking the whole brake system apart today giving everything a good clean out, putting it all  back together and see where I am after that.

Ill post the outcome here regardless.

Edited by metalmikky

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online