Cleaning carbs

This post is 3239 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Elbow grease and things like petrol, thinners and a toothbrush. Try the pound shops, one near me called rock bottom does big cans of carb cleaner for £2.99. Works on the outside as well as the inside.

For god sake dont try to polish them, just let them age with dignity (aluminium will bloom just with age) unless you want to spend your life with a polishing mop.

• Like 1

Being a cheap bastard I do like the pound shop, got engine degreased using their oven cleaner, much cheaper than the proper stuff. :biglaugha:

Boil them in a lemon juice (jif) and water mix - use an old saucepan.

Don't leave them too long and wash in plenty of cold water as the lemon will eventually eat the alloy. Finish off with some WD40 and a cloth.

• Like 1

Bloody hell I think my other half has got some of that in the cupboard I'll go and nick that for nothing!!

Ha Ha Ha !!! Not just me then?

Nah, lemon juice, ie citric acid wont harm aluminium. Its non ferrous so its caustic that can really damage it. ie oven cleaner (although by the by that stuff is really weak), make sure you wear ppe while your working it.

Vinegar works too.

Just be careful with the oven cleaner. Although that gunk you use with the bag really works on decoking spannies.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online