Tips on keeping new bike good!

sunsprie
This post is 3314 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey folks, just bought my first big bike, a yamaha dragstar 650, I really want to keep her in great condition. I was riding a 125 virago and it was my first bike, I feel I should have got her serviced more.

When do people recommend a service and oil change, any help would be great thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

first step should be an ACF50 treatment, no mater in what condition you ride or keep it. 6000 miles the service or if you don`t make those miles in one year, every year. I strongly recommend silver spark plugs, for my bike has make a big difference and if you can, try to stay with yamalube oils and genuine oil filter. I don`t know what pip mean.

• Like 1

Pip was meant to be oil lol don't know how that happened lol. What is acf50? I'd say I'd be getting 6000miled of her a year pretty easy, I'll maybe leave the bike in to my local mechanic and have him check it over. I'll have a look at the silver spark plugs also.

The bike seems in great condition, one concern was this morning I checked her and a small puddle of oil was on the ground.

Been using this since I got my draggie, fully synth, specially formulated for V-twins:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-858-silkolene-v-twin-10w-50-fully-synthetic-high-performance-motorcycle-engine-oil-for-v-twin-designs.aspx

If you change to this from mineral or semi-synth, you won't believe the difference. Like getting a new gearbox! Got a write-up of it somewhere on the forum.

ACF50 is good.

• Like 2

AFC50 is an anticorosion... spray thing... or you can search on google for all year riders, they do the treatment with 65 pounds. you can also search for silicone spray grease. this is good for electric stuffs.. wires, connectors, bla bla.. keep the water away from your electric instalation

• Like 1

AFC50 is a must for you bike, its the dogs bollocks for stopping corrosion.

Keep the insides clean and well oiled and the outside covered with a nice layer of grime. That's my top tip.

Service as per the manual but every 12 months or 6k miles sounds about right. As already mentioned, use a good quality motorcycle oil.

• Like 2

If the small puddle of oil is on the floor behind the kickstand I think you will find its the neutral switch seal, there's a write up here somewhere on fixing it, I have it printed out ready to do mine.

• Like 1

I don`t know about the 650 but for 950, you lose the warranty if you use full synthetic oil. also all mechanics tell me the same thing, no full synthetic for my bike... something about the wet clutch slipage. bla bla, damage on the clutch. I have no idea if is true, I just think is good to share this.

The mechanics are pulling your leg Las, unless they think you mean fully synth oil meant for cars; f.s oil for bikes will not harm your clutch. If it's fine for the wet clutch of any other type of bike, why wouldn't it be ok for the wet clutch of a cruiser? Especially one meant specifically for V-twins, that all the Harley guys swear by?

And the thing about the warranty, really? I'd like to see where it says that (not that I don't believe you), sounds outrageous to me...

Hey Sun, how old is your "new" bike? How many miles on the clock?

That is very well preserved! Very fine example! Well no issues with voiding warranties then, given the age of the bike. And only 6K? Was it in a museum? Why do people buy motorbikes and then not ride them?

One thing though: those highway passing lights will absolutely kill your battery, and eventually fry your stator/generator as well. Don't ever use them. In fact I'd advise getting rid of them altogether. The dragstar's generator can barely cope with the standard electrical load as it is. Unless the previous owner has upgraded the stator.

I'll be keeping them off then, I don't want to risk anything like that happening! They really cool though lol. There's also a skull which you can't see on the picture. It's on the front mud guard and the eyes light up, I best disconnect that too then.

The guy actually broke his neck and couldn't ride it, said it was to heavy. Still for the amount of time he had it he still didn't clock up many miles. Shame for him as he was a really nice person.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online