Help. xvs650 cush drive dampener removal

Hebob
This post is 3358 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I want to get my '97 dragstar wheels powdercoated and need to remove the rubber dampeners and studs in the rear wheel. No idea how to do it and youtube seems to point in the direction of destroying them then buying new ones. This doesn't seem right so anyone any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Most cush drive dampers come out fairly easy unless they have been in there to long then they get a bit difficult to remove cos they distort. Usually the way to get them out is to take the wheel out then the drive side of the wheel is a lot of wiggling and swearing to get it apart, should just be a push fit, don't think any of the main manufacturers bolt them in, might be wrong about that but never had a problem getting them apart other than the above.

• Like 1

What, the big rubbery chock-shaped things?

Pull.

They should just fall out when you turn the wheel over and shake it.

Hi there Hebob , I'm not sure what type of cush is on your bike but the guys above seem to think they are the triangular rubber blocks which do indeed come out easily . However from the info you give I'm thinking you may have the little barrel shaped ones similar to what's in a CG125 and they are a bugger to remove/replace . If I'm right the only way to remove them without special tools is to remove the inner metal tube from the cush drive bush and then take a narrow bladed drift or chisel to the outer ring . The idea is to bend the outermost metal sleeve of the bush in toward the centre , which should allow you to remove it . That's how I've always done it . BUT .... be very careful , as it is all too easy to crack the bush housing if you are not . Best of luck ! Whereabouts in Éire are you ?

If Kev is right then follow his advice, I have only had experience with the usual wedge shaped cush drive rubbers, best if you check the manual on "how to" remove the beggers.

Let's be sure before we start chiseling at anything, as the esteemed Kev's description also matches the wheel bearings on a Dragstar rather than the cush drive...

The cush is specifically triangular rubber blocks on a Drag.

Do you have a photo of these studs you want out... ?

• Like 1

Yeah if you would Hebob, a photo would clear it all up mate.

I got a chance to google a diagram of the XVS 650 rear wheel set up . As far as I can see the bike has the usual triangular rubber blocks seen on most bikes . So please ignore my earlier post ( unless you've a CG125 , lol ) . Never buy spurious cush drive rubbers as they are made of crap .

Is that Chinese crap? or does someone really shit triangles? :biglaugha: