Dragrtar 650 throttle hesitation

Toutsuite
This post is 3350 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,

This afternoon I noticed some throttle hesitation. It happens in the mid-range revs, not down low at idle, and it happens when I give it the beans. Worse when engine cold, better but still noticeable when engine has warmed up. Bear in mind it was 8 deg C on the roads this afternoon. Engine is not running rough otherwise.

Possible causes? Carbs need cleaning? Leak in the air intake? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Update: looking at the schematics for the air filter housing, it looks like I'm missing a duct in the assembly, before the airflow reaches the filter. Have ordered the part from Fowlers. Will see if that does anything.

Clean carbs out anyway. Same for fuel line and airflow. Just good housekeeping!

• 2 weeks later...

Update 2: before taking her for her MOT today, I experimented with some ducktape over about half the intake where the duct should be, thereby restricting airflow. This has sorted the hesitation, and I've got full power back. Duct is on back order and takes a month(!) to get here from Japan. So 2-3 weeks to go. Won't get much riding on the draggie in that time anyway, unless we get a freak heat wave or summat (unlikely)...

Once the part arrives, and her airbox is back to what it should be, I think I'll get one of them K&N filters, see if I can squeeze a bit more power from that engine, since I got fairly free flowing pipes anyway. I suspect the k&n filter will necessitate another re-jet.

By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the front lever brake light switch? I have to really squeeze on the lever before the brake light comes on.

By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the front lever brake light switch? I have to really squeeze on the lever before the brake light comes on.

AFAIK, it is not.

The manual details adjusting the lever free-play, which will affect when the switch triggers, but there is no specific mechanism for altering the switch settings.

You could still achieve it, but this would require removing the lever and jury-rigging something.

I had the same with my front brake buddy, just had to change the switch and bobs your fanny works just as it should ;)

Maybe its just me but I very rarely hit the front brake without a bit of the rear.

And Lo and Behold, the rubber duct (no quacking jokes please) arrived in the post this afternoon! My airbox is now as it should be! Will test ride her Sunday morning as we're expecting a bit of sunshine darn sarf east Laahdun. :jossun:

Edit Sunday night: she's running sweet as a nut!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online