New XVS 125 engine first time start up issues

Carolina Spur
This post is 3349 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just a put a brand new engine in my XVS 125 and even though I took the bottom off of the carb and unscrewed the main jet and housing and idle jet and housing blew carburetor cleaner through and made sure the little holes were clean I'm not getting any fuel through the carb whatsoever. The accelerator pump is putting a squirt in when you turn the throttle and the bowl is filling up but nothing. you have to twist the throttle 10 or 12 times jus to get it to pop a few times. I have another carburetor which is freshly rebuilt should I put it on or try something else with the old one?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well if you have a spare and the other one is not working what's to lose? All you can do is try it and see if it makes a difference.

Have you sonicallly cleaned the carb? Most on here swear that this can get an old carb up and running but for myself I think there are times when the carb has just had it! Try soaking it in a pot of diesel or even petrol for a few days, that can get to the parts that sometimes are causing problems, most folks want a quick fix but sometimes you have to be patient and wait for time to go by before it actually cleans the crud out. DON'T soak it in carb cleaner tho as I have heard that it can actually eat the carb body away, bit like a tooth in Cola.

• Like 1

Have you sonicallly cleaned the carb? Most on here swear that this can get an old carb up and running but for myself I think there are times when the carb has just had it! Try soaking it in a pot of diesel or even petrol for a few days, that can get to the parts that sometimes are causing problems, most folks want a quick fix but sometimes you have to be patient and wait for time to go by before it actually cleans the crud out. DON'T soak it in carb cleaner tho as I have heard that it can actually eat the carb body away, bit like a tooth in Cola.

Sounds like good advice and seems to be one of a couple of old issues that is haunting the bike from sitting for a few years and being mistreated before she blew. Thanks man

If you are local to me, I can run the carb through my cleaner. I am in Loughborough. Other than that you could post one to me and I can clean it and post back if it helps.

I know this is going to sound daft but are the valves actually opening? if the valve timing is out then that might be the problem, if the valve is opening at the wrong time then you will get a "chuff" from the engine but it won't run. If your getting brown staining on the plug then your getting fuel to the plug, ain't you? Just sayin!!

PS you have timed the bike correctly haven't you? and not got the valve timing 180 deg out? it can happen.

• Like 1

Ok then, so is there a leak in the carb inlet rubber? that can give you grief if there is air getting into the engine in front of the carb instead of behind the carb. Just trying some ideas out here not saying you haven't tried all of this and hope your not getting fed up with my suggestions :biglaugha: one other thing is the gasket between the carb rubber and the head and carb rubber they can perish and also let in air thus not allowing pressure to build up enough inside the carb to draw the fuel in.

Try spraying some "EASY START" over the carb rubber as you turn it over, that can also let you know if the rubber is cracked by the engine firing. Running out of ideas here (THANK GOD your saying)

• Like 2

Ok then, so is there a leak in the carb inlet rubber? that can give you grief if there is air getting into the engine in front of the carb instead of behind the carb. Just trying some ideas out here not saying you haven't tried all of this and hope your not getting fed up with my suggestions :biglaugha: one other thing is the gasket between the carb rubber and the head and carb rubber they can perish and also let in air thus not allowing pressure to build up enough inside the carb to draw the fuel in.

Try spraying some "EASY START" over the carb rubber as you turn it over, that can also let you know if the rubber is cracked by the engine firing. Running out of ideas here (THANK GOD your saying)

I really appreciate the ideas, I have a spare rubber inlet and they both are still pliable and not brittle. No visible cracks or holes. Someone has put paper gaskets inbetween the O ring and the head which I have kept in place. must have been having a problem with them sealing I imagine. Another thing is the fact its freezing cold in my garage. (no room for error in the leaking gap department.)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... Here's where I'm at. Everything looks timed and spot on. New carburetor is putting fuel in. She still will not crank. Here's what I think. But cant confirm until tomorrow. What if the guy who I got this bike from put the heads on front to back? Could you reverse the HT leads in theory?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online