Road

drewpy
This post is 3496 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sorry Guy's forget to tell you about this and its only got 2 days left on BBC iPLayer

Road, story of the Dunlop family brilliant and rather sad too.

see Michael in a different light now

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sorry Guy's forget to tell you about this and its only got 2 days left on BBC iPLayer

Road, story of the Dunlop family brilliant and rather sad too.

see Michael in a different light now

Thanks drewpy would have missed it, yes got to agree it was brilliant and sad too, Robert and Joey what fantastic riders.

• Like 1

a brief Joey anecdote from former Honda team boss Neil Tuxworth:

"Joey never used many spares.I remember Carl Fogarty used to have a brand new clutch every race when he raced an RC30 with us. Joey used one clutch for three years!

Of all the riders I’ve worked with, Joey used the smallest number of parts of anyone and he never had many breakdowns either. I think that was simply down to his neat riding style and the fact he understood engines.

One time he rang up for some piston rings to rebuild one of his bikes. So the lads in the workshop thought, ‘if he’s doing a rebuild he’ll need a host of other bits.’ So we sent him a big package of parts, pistons as well as rings, gaskets, lots of bushes, seals, that kind of stuff you need for an engine rebuild.

A week later this package comes back virtually untouched apart from the rings, with a note in it from Joey. It read: “I only wanted f***ing piston rings.” To this day I can’t believe any racer would be honest enough to send back any parts he didn’t need."

• Like 2

My wife and I watched it on iplayer last week as we missed it at the cinema.

Very sad indeed, but by jove, did Robert keep going or what. I tell you what though. If you can say you didnt at least have a lump in your throat by the end, then you're not human.

On the subject of Tuxworth stories about Joey, I'll always remember the one where Neil said the boss of HRC was visiting, and wanted to meet this Dunlop fellow, so Neil took him to Joeys caravan, where there was a factory RC30 just leant up against the caravan and the carbs from said bike hanging on a washing line. The boss of HRC was dumbfounded. I Bet that was a picture.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online