SR125 Drain bolt prob

Stax
This post is 6609 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Not having a lot of luck with the bike at the moment... :(

I decided to give it an oil and air filter change as I noticed the oil level was too low. So I drained the oil out of the engine and started on removing the oil filter cover. Eventually got the two screws holding the top of the cover off, but I'm having problems with the third bolt. Its basically a bolt you undo (or not) with an allen key. Its only supposed to be done up to 10Nm (AKA hardly anything) but seems to have been done up a lot tighter. Basically I couldn't shift it and have ended up rounding it out. So any ideas on how I get it off? Its grooved around the outside of the bolt but I haven't had any luck using pliers on it.

Thanks in advance...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Mole grips or drill the git out and re-thread it.

Only thing I can think of at the mo.

Regards

I decided to give it an oil and air filter change as I noticed the oil level was too low. So I drained the oil out of the engine and started on removing the oil filter cover. Eventually got the two screws holding the top of the cover off, but I'm having problems with the third bolt. Its basically a bolt you undo (or not) with an allen key. Its only supposed to be done up to 10Nm (AKA hardly anything) but seems to have been done up a lot tighter. Basically I couldn't shift it and have ended up rounding it out. So any ideas on how I get it off? Its grooved around the outside of the bolt but I haven't had any luck using pliers on it.

Thanks in advance...

If you can get a larger nut over the bolt head, you can then weld it on inside the allen bolt (build up the weld to inside the nut). due to the different heat characteriscts of the metal, it will break any alloy corrsion. Then you can get a socket over the nut and turn. his also works on studs snapped off flush with alloy heads.

You could also get a dremel and cut a groove, then use an impact screwdriver. BTW any bolts that are tight should use heat if possible and an impact driver.

Drew

Thanks in advance...

if its an allen bolt ure trying to get out use a torque key slightly bigger knock it in with a hammer nice and tight if possible heat it up first and use a socket to undo good luck.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll have to have another go at it and I'm sure I'll get it out one way or another.

Although I think I'm going to try and get a replacement bolt first so I can at least finish up the oil change when I'm done destroying this bolt.

And besides, what kind of metal is this bolt supposed to be made of? I know its not supposed to be done up very tight, but it virtually disintegrated as soon as I put the allen key to it! :blink:

Managed to remove the bolt with a pair of mole grips and a bit of perserverance.

Made a mess of the bolt though... :lol:

use copper grease on the threads next time ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online