Thoughts on the "j bolt"

Banksy
This post is 3532 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey. Loving my new bike but now dealing with a few minor issues cosmetically. The distance between the rear wheel and fender is huge!! Seen lowering kits that will drop bike about an inch and a bit. However thanks to YouTube I've discovered this j bolt idea. Basically what it involves is drilling a hole through the frame and using the original bolt again.

Anybody on here tried this?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I read it and all I can say is BUTCHER JOB, the spring is now pre loaded = crapy ride, stiff, the mount is weakened. For the cost of a lower link to do it right why would you butcher it? Do it right or leave it!

I think it looks fucking horrible, broken and quite possibly a little dangerous/awkward to ride.

Seriously, it looks like the bike has a flat tyre or busted monoshock.

I put a Hagon in my Drag which actually *raised* the suspension, shortened the wheelbase a touch and lessened the rake a bit, which suddenly made the bike even better to handle!!

Unless you are REALLY short, I cannot see the point of lowering a Cruiser.

Have to agree: looks shit, dangerous and almost certainly fucks up the handling.

Ya see all of these mods for cruisers - lowering kits, raking kits, anything that messes with the setup of the bike, is for those american boulevard, traffic light to traffic light riders, who don't do twisties. They just parade up and down the straight roads outside shopping malls. And if that's your thang, well, good luck, what with livin' in Scotland and all... (Lots of WET twisty roads - you WILL need luck!)

Thanks for the input. Totally understand what you guys are getting at but I'm building the bike more for show than go. Yes it will be used for the occasional run out the city but 90% of my riding is around built up areas. Ill stick to trying the lowering kit seems to be the better option than drilling the frame.

I have mounted a BARON lower kit on my bike, in 3 stages (standard, 1", 2") ... don`t remember how much I pay but under 50 pounds delivered from US. I think using a lower kit is better than macking holes in your frame.