New bike... Almost

AndrewElvisFan
This post is 3522 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I will be borrowing bits from the other SR to problem solve but doubt I'll get to the bottom of it in time for squires. I trust the one I'm using to get me there and back!

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds healthy, how you can get it going but not the shop?

did you run it till it warms up?

Ran for about 10 mins... then took it up a erm private road and back so nice and warm. Running on reserve tank though so didn't take it too far! I cleaned the plug, all electrical connections and made sure they were making good contact. The plug was black and dry so tried a teaspoon of fuel in the hole and she started up! The shop did say it was an intermittent fault and they had changed the cdi unit. Maybe one of the connections wasn't quite right? The exhaust almost sounds like it's blowing compared to my other one, but that could be 3 holes in the end?

9b2c488e4dbf9cc9c37ad972e0a6a3c5.jpg

• Like 1

Great stuff Andrew.

Tappets, carb clean/swap, air filter and check the plug in it is the correct one - would be my first jobs.

Spark plug is the same as the other - although it has a weak spark. Just running it now after getting her going again. Didn't want to start at all to begin with. Now using my plug in its place! There is a plug light thing fitted so I know the ht has power. So I'm thinking new plug. Also just checked the cam chain tensioner which needed adjusting and sounds a bit better. I think it is just a noisy exhaust compared to mine!

Not great sound but here's the difference - the new one sounds a lot 'bigger'!

https://vimeo.com/104807490

https://vimeo.com/104807631

I'm thinking it's supposed to be like that?

New spark plug, clean carb, new side panel, new centre stand, MOT and sell her on with a bit of luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

Went to clean the carb and all is clean already :)

New spark plug in and fresh fuel, started first time!! But have discovered the intermittent ignition issue. The HT lead has an inline spark indicator which is confirming that there was no power going through. Any idea what to swap out first? I was thinking the coil first as the first option but given that the problem does not show perhaps for a week at a time, is there any test I can do?

Going to get a new battery this week so I don't have to keep swapping back with the other SR then start a new thread in workshop when I start swapping bits over.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol! Still working on it, but have had no time for the last week. Got a new battery for her but now I can't recreate the problem to identify where the fault is. Every time I've been starting her, she has started first time! I was hoping to get something done this afternoon but it's lashing down so it's staying under cover!

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online