Ape hangers

HarleyJay
This post is 3568 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm looking to put some apes on my bike, always liked the look. Now I'm thinking 16" not sure if I'll need risers to clear the tank ?

My question is can you simply buy all the longer cables needed ? Or do I have to get them made up for me?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You will need to search for a bit, but you can probably find suitable cables of the required length.

I think you'd get a better fit and more satisfying build quality more easily if you had them custom-made, as well. Might even be cheaper getting it from one place than loads of different shops.

Ape hangers are good but remember if your hands are above your shoulders then the following will happe:

1. Your shoulders will start to ache after about 5 miles at 50+ MPH or 5 mins of slow riding
  2. Steering at low speed will become a challenge
  3. Manual handeling will become a challenge
  4. Your speed will drop substantually in any sort of head wind as you become a bigger wind sail
  5. If you happen to do an emergancy stop you may find your body weight will push them forward in the risers
  6. If you use them to adjust your body possision (slide your ass forward) you may pull them back

You should be fine with the stock 1" risers but if not dont go any higher than 3" risers as your bars will then be 19-20" high.

As for the cables if you cant get any custom made then you can do it your self just need more wire from Halfords, soldering iron and solder, heat shrink and some time, i forgotten the company that do custom brake and clutch lines but there are some about just google them. ;)

Came back to my bike the other day and found this parked next to it.

8adute7a.jpg

Is that the look you're after?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online