Diversion 600 1997 Brakes

timdmilton
This post is 3564 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

My Divvy has single front disk brake which doesn't seem very good at all. I've tried bleeding it which helped in that the lever no longer has the spongy feel as before but stopping power is still pretty ineffective compared with other machine I've ridden.

Last time I took her in for an MOT I asked them to check the front disk and pads and was told nothing wrong (well I suppose they must have worked well enough to pass the MOT). Is this a common complaint do you know? I assume that's the reason that they upgraded later production models to twin disks at the front.

Also I'm experiencing an alarming tendency of the rear wheel to lock up with only moderate pressure applied to the pedal. Could be my fault I guess as I'm quite inexperienced on bikes, or maybe there is a genuine fault?

Thanks

Tim

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Tim, does your bike have rear brake shoes rather than pads? If so then you can improve the braking by shamfering off the leading edge of the shoe with a file, you could replace the front forks with ones off of a newer bike that has twin discs, not that expensive and will really make an improvement to the handling. Or you could drive SLOWER !!!! I suppose but where is the fun in that? :jossun:

• Like 1

Could be that the front brake pipes are swelling up as you apply the pressure. You can get braided hoses to significantly reduce that

Could be moisture in the fluid allowing the fluid to compress

Might benefit from full service of front brake system, seals/pistons/fluid change/pipes/master cylinder kit

If youve no record of any of that work previously being done, then the above parts maybe 17 years old

This should be in the workshop section. No oily bits bits or overalls are allowed in the bar. It won't come off the seats.

• Like 1

Could be that the pads are contaminated with oil or glazed,had a custormer who though because the brakes squeeled in the morning would be a good idea to spray them with wd 40 :crazy: .

Try changing the pads out with new or give them a rub down with some sand paper. a single disc should still put the power down to lift the rear wheel.Even the tiny little front brake on my wr will lift the back wheel.

But you didn't say if the lever comes to the bar or much to go on, could be you just dont know how to ride yet?

Apologies to the Moderator for discussing taboo subjects in the bar! I'm new to the forum as you can tell but here, as in the 'outside world' I always tend to gravitate to bars (though not on days when I'm driving or riding of course) :)

Thanks for your replies, guys. In answer to your questions it has a rear disk brake and yes that's a good point about getting the brake service done.

I will re-post in the workshop section if any further questions, cheers. Oh and mines a pint whoever's buying lol.

You never know what you may find if you overhaul the brakes

Look what turned up in one of my front pistons

P6290354.jpg

An M8 hex head screw. The thread on it was only the same length as the thickness of the piston end wall, and it had been drilled and tapped into the piston

Why?

Chuff knows, but I'm glad I did the work

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online