175 Clutch grabs or slips

keychange
This post is 3593 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I have a 78 AG175 - these are much more like CT than the DT although has reed valve but compression is only 6:1

I am putting it back on the road for a fund raiser but the clutch either slips or grabs no in between. I have checked plates and basket all looks good. Didn't spec the springs as I don't have the know how. The nylon adjuster on the gear change side looks pretty worn but it does function.

Could this be oil related I am considering giving ATF a try - any opinions welcome

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ATF wont help.

Slips and grabs is bloody awful as a description of clutch operation.

Does it drag finding neutral. Slip at full power/high gears.

Most likely wear on the basket forks, locating tynes on the plates worn to an edge or the plates have worn.

You know by eye a knaked clutch looks the same as a good one.

I know this is probably something you have not done but just asking, have you put the right oil in it? if you have used car oil then it's buggered as that stuff has additives in it which wreck motorcycle clutches, just asking you understand as it has been known for folks to use "CHEAPER" car oil. :eusa_think: