XVS 125 Dragstar rattle/buzzing noise

CindyChase
This post is 3609 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys n gals just a wee question to you all

Ive notice that my draggy has developed a little rattle/buzzing noise, its in every gear tho quiter in 1st and louder as the bike picks up speed and warms up.

Now she runs and rides great can do 55-60 smooth as a smooth thing so performance wise shes ok.

Shes has plenty of oil in her so I know shes not dry but she gets a bit hot but after a 30 mile one way commute I thought it might not be something to worry about but thought to mention it.

Checked the drive chain and sprockets and they are all ok and it sounds like its coming from the engine ( checked for loose nuts bolts casings brackets etc ) so Im wondering and hence asking you lovely peeps could it be the cam/timing chain?

Is there a camchain adjuster/tensioner on the 125 draggys and how is it done?

Any other areas you can recommend I check as well?

Cindy x x

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Unfortunately rattling and banging noises are what you can hear all we get is your version of them, so unless you can either describe EXACTLY where they are coming from or get a video of the noise on here there's not much we can do really, having said that your best bet for a "how to" on the cam chain adjuster is to get hold of the proper manual and see what it says in there, I have a rattle on my bike it's coming from the front and only happens at 35MPH, I know exactly what it is and how to fix it but it can wait till the winter cos it's not really anything major, this might be the case with yours but equally it might not be, if your really worried about it just pop down to your local dealer/workshop and ask if they will have a look at it for you to reasure yourself that it's nothing horrible or likely to blow up. Someone on here MIGHT be able to say what it might be but until you have something to show it can only be a best guess. :jossun:

If it sounds like a sewing machine, it's usually the tappets.

Hi cindy,

have you checked the little heat sheld on the front exhaust U bend? its exposed to al the road crap and the bolts rust solid (had them rust on my 125 draggy) if they have rusted the sheld maybe touching your pipe and buzzing on that.

If not i will look at my Manuel tonight and see if i can post up a how to on Cam chain adjustments.

Hi cindy,

have you checked the little heat sheld on the front exhaust U bend? its exposed to al the road crap and the bolts rust solid (had them rust on my 125 draggy) if they have rusted the sheld maybe touching your pipe and buzzing on that.

If not i will look at my Manuel tonight and see if i can post up a how to on Cam chain adjustments.

That happened to mine, it corroded so much so that it eventually fell off mid-journey. Managed to get it re-attached with a jubiliee clip.

• Like 1