1988? Yamaha DT 125 worth the time and money?

This post is 3682 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok gentlemen today's update. I put the carb back on and began trying to crank it. It required gas directly in the carb and it ran for around 10-15 seconds but never picked up from the carb. I figured it was some left over trash, so I repeated this process for around 30 min and each time it ran longer. I rigged up a makeshift throttle cable and was able to rev it a bit when it was running and this helped greatly. I put about half a liter in the tank and got it running again. I was actually able to ride it around the yard! Made my day! I was really surprised at how strong the little bike is especially when it gets up into the powerband. When I called it quits it was idling great and was beginning to run a little hot. I added water to coolant system and noticed some oil and particles. Hopefully it is just from it being in the weather so long. No questions tonight just an update.

Thanks

Jake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is the oil injection system working then?

I have not added any oil to the system. I have just been running mixed gas. Which would be better bypassing the system and just running mixed oil or using the injection system?

Easier to not bother fixing the pump if it's broken but.. if it works and,, you have all the parts then why not easier to just put gas in the tank

Ok sounds like a plan. I have not got a chance to try the system. But I was able to ride it a good bit today. It is running ok. It pulls 1,2,&3rd gears really well but it does not like the others. It won't get enough rpms to get to power band in 4th. I think it may be a carb issue. It has a hard time kick starting. What should the compression be at? If it has low compression would this cause the lack of low rpm power. In power band it pulls really well, it's just the getting it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LMAO it's a 50 with a fat ass on it what do you expect from 5 hp..

If it runs and you can get it around the farm just beat it it's just a piss ant 50

EDIT even if you weighed 100lbs you would still be fat to the bike.

Ha good point!! Just wondering. I am really surprised at how much power it's has for a fifty. Now all I have to get is a decent throttle cable. Oh btw the cows are a little nervous about a silencer less two stroke. Thanks for all the help dt.

Ok I am going to be a novice again. I know a chainsaw has an h and an L adjustment for mixture. Does this carb have the same adjustments? I am having problems getting it to idle and pick up gas when starting. Any adjustment tips would be well appreciated.

Making a silencer wouldn't be hard,but surley there must be one kicking around in a bike wreckes that would fit,almost every racer changes the pipe as the first mod they do so there are litterly thousands of stock silencers kicking around in garages one from a 65, 80 or 125. will work dosen't have to be one from a dt 50. and adding some back pressure will help the way it runs.

Hit your local dirt race track and ask around in the pits someone will have one from a bike they sold,and enjoy a day of watching some races.Dont try to get into the pit's of a national race go when it's a club event or open ride then the pits are open to everyone some nationals you have to buy a pit pass on top of the entry fee unless your racing.

Ok great, what is the standard turn for stock? I think I have it on 1.5 turns out and it seems a little lean so I will richen it up. Dt honestly I do not know where there is a track close by I will have to look on Google. There's really not many people that ride around here most everyone has four wheelers.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since last update. I will keep it short . Got the throttle cable and installed it. Just got done doing another carb cleaning. After those two things it's runs great. I just rode it about 5 miles on a back road and it stayed around 35-40 the whole time.