1977 XS400 restored.

Turolla
This post is 3711 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I was going to have a shower,and the pipes weren't hot should I turn the hot water on?

How about a hello and who you are ,,what end of a wrench you know?

Jump over to the new members section tell the folks about yourself and what you know about bikes,till you do fraid you probably wont get much help. Drewps knows just about everything about xs400's,but we get lots of 1 hit wonders and people cant be bothered with them.

Well the first things to check are air filter,gas fresh or stale,good fuel flow from tank,and grab yourself a manual it will come in handy as your new to fixing.

How long has the bike sat? a carb clean and set up could be in order if she has sat around and the gas went south.

Bike only need choke when cold once warmed up shouldn't need choke ever. will it idle at all? you going to have to be more informative as to how when it does this.

As there is many things that could be causing this problem IE leaking intake rubbers,valves not adjusted properly,dirty carbs,timming out ect.. The more information you can give then the more we can help you try and sort it out.

The bike has not set at all, the person I bought the bike from down 3 years restoring her and did a great job. According to him, the carbs were clean and the bike has ran all season, even in during these winter months he has started her once a week.

I only

Use the choke when I first start her, and then after 1 mike driven I turn it off and she will idle fine. However, if I let her idle for 3-4

Minutes she might die all of the sudden. She will start right back up and it might die again in another 3-4 minutes. I just parked her in my driveway and let he riddle for about 5 minutes. She did not die but from time to time the idle (which will normally be at around 1500rm) would go super low and the. Right back at 1500rpm. The fuel is brand new 93 octane.

She also takes a while to start when starting from cold, should I choke before starting it?

I have the original manual and it is very informative with step by step pictures on how to fix different things.

She is in great shape, I was just worries about the idle fluctuation as described above. What do you think? Is that normal? She idles fine, but eventually fluctuated to low rpm ( lower than 1000) and dies. Sometimes it just fluctuates a bit, again only when I just let it sit idling. If you are rising it does great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was so hard to read barely made sence,tap talk is crap.

But it sounds like you have a vaccume leak try spraying some wd 40 around the intake rubbers and see what happen with the idle when its hot.

Again choke when cold,once warm no

Could one of the mods please move this to workshop where it should be .

I had this problem with an iliminator , turned out the float valves and height needed attention,, And what do you mean ," shall i choke before starting ?

If its cold engine .well yeh,,

the carbs on these bikes are really finiky.

just leaving them with gas in for longer than a month, causes all sorts of gumming and poor running.

you havn't said what itsa like to ride only tick over. the bike needs a good run, not irregular start ups which does no good.

do you have an inline fuel filter fitted, is the pet cock free of debris?

carb inlets cracked?

is it a points model?

BTW its not a restored bike, its a modded one :)

Blackhat250, hi thanks for responding, my question with the choke is the following, should I hit the choke and then crank it or should I crank it and them use the choke until the engine gets going? Again I never had carburetor bike before so this is all new for me.

Hi drewpy, thanks for the help and insight. I took it for a short run, (5 miles) and it does great. I'm not sure about the inline fuel filter and pet cock free of debris, as well as the carb inlets or points model, I honestly don't know where or how to check, but will do research and pull out the manual so I can check on it. I will get back to you on this one. Thanks for the help.

prob , just needs a tune and a good thrashing (Italian tune up)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online