1987 fz600

jcube_04
This post is 3696 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Take disc to big building with books (libary) ask to use a computer install disc and hit print,collect pages from nice lady.

LOL it works for me,as I have no luck with printers they seem to last right up untill I need something important printed.

just put in new float valves last night. the O ring on the needle body was so loose they fell out.

Seems that its not just about the needle seats on these carbs

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, ok so I'm borrowing my brother in laws computer....sorry I haven't posted any progress in a while, Ive been working 12s and college started again. Here's the progress

1 Jets came in from Sigma 7, they apparantly custom build jet kits for your specific bike and altitude so I now have 110s on carbs for 1 and 4 and 112.5s for carbs 2 an 3. Carburetor Done.

2. Stripped the valve cover, jugs, head and side covers, a little JB weld to fill in some gouges on the covers works nicely.

3. I KREEMed my gas tank, no more rusty.

4 Today, I got my valve spring compressor tool. 20$ on ebay and my valve and seals are on their way out

While they are out, I will be primering and painting the engine pieces.

Question: If I reuse my old valves should I get them reground?

you can lap them your self unless you are gas flowing the head and you might want to have stepped valve seats

If you havent allready go and view felixs section on vavle shimming and see how he mannaged to swap shims his picture secquence is better than words.

Good luck with the build sound like your comming along fine,when Installing the cams can be tricky so rotate the eng 4x and recheck the timming marks and again felix has provided you wil some nice pictuers.

Have fun and as always pictuers are nice so try and post a few.

• Like 1

lol no problem! That's exactly why I posted so many pictures along the way... for my reference when I went back, and to help anyone else who needed it!

The timing marks are on the cams themselves, NOT the sprocket (which I originally thought because they had marks on them too) so when you reinstall at TDC make sure the cam timing marks are directly up!

I ended up swapping shims back and forth between a few engines and didn't need to buy any, I got lucky. If you do need some specific sizes let me know because I have a bunch of extra ones. You'll need a feeler gauge to do this so go pick up one if you haven't already got one.