1987 fz600

jcube_04
This post is 3700 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone. Still fairly new to these forums, but I think I found the place to post issues(please correct me if I'm wrong). So , Friday, I fired up the 87 fz600, it fired up and ran fine for about 30 seconds and then fuel started pouring out my airbix and out of the number 2 cylinder at the gasket between the jugs and the crankcase. Any thoughts as to why it would flood out so bad? Or how the fuel made it out that jug seal? There was no fuel in the oil, no oil in the fuel, and when I tore it down, I didn't see anything that looked obviously wrong. New gaskets on they way.....

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This should be in workshop BUT your carbs are dirty and the float stuck open

The carbs need stripping, floats are holed ,or needle valves renewed or cleaned , replace all 4 gaskets while carbs off, .they come as a set,

And your in the workshop,,,, :yeah:

I thought i had found a post where the k&n stage 3 jet kits were 35$. Since my stock airbox is busted would it be better to put pods on and that jet kit in since I'll have them apart anyway? I can't find that post though...yes it is an aftermarket vacuum operated petcock, I order the rebuild kit for the factory one though...

From all the research I've done (I've never tried it) the K&N filter pods caused more problems than they're worth. Don't try and pump more HP out of this bike, just enjoy it for what it is... once you get it running right you'll be more than happy with the results, trust me. This bike has plenty of power!

I'd just strip your carbs and clean them really good as suggested, you probably need new float needle valves, that's what shuts the fuel off when the float gets high enough, unless your floats are seriously messed up, but you won't know until you crack open the carbs... Strip the carbs, post pics if you need, and go from there!

PS, if you're using carb cleaner, use it in a WELL VENTILATED space! :D

The carbs need stripping, floats are holed ,or needle valves renewed or cleaned , replace all 4 gaskets while carbs off, .they come as a set,

And your in the workshop,,,, :yeah:

that's because I moved it ;)

might have been modded to get more air in.

might be that's its fine to use with the existing air filter

So if it ran fine like that, I'm failing to see how the pods would be bad, if I put a sleeve on them I would feel safer and they would be easier to get ony carbs than the 26 year old rubbers of the airbox....thoughts?

Hey I'm not saying it won't work, just saying from what I've read everyone who installed the pods had problems, you could still try it out, maybe it'll work if you get the correct jet kit!

pods affect the diaphram of the carbs, whereas the inlet tract from the airbox is tuned to give

the correct flow.

Ok, so here's a list of everything I've ordered : complete gasket set, petcocke rebuild, carb gaskets and float valves, factory airbox, two coils with plug wires, I've already rebuilt the front forks, new grips and windscreen bolts....all I feel like this baby needs is the two Yamaha engine covers and the lower and middle fairings.....anything else I'm missing? Lol