Re'vit leathers

Rachel
This post is 3723 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all.

As I'm new to biking (had my licence since June 2013) the first set of jacket and trousers I bought were textile ones. I'm looking in to buying a leather jacket and trouser set and wondered if anybody has heard of the brand, and if so what are your thoughts? Thought I'd ask as it's a lot of money to spend (500 pound for the set I'm looking at!!). Any advice would be gratefully received.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Keep an eye out at your local shops for sales anyway, but head out to a couple of shows and things.

Also, we have numerous May Day runs going on soon, especially the London to Hastings one - 50,000+ bikers packing the streets of Hastings!!

A while back, on one such run, I got two Frank Thomas jackets for £30 each, brand new, unused. They retail for £180 normally.

The shop was selling off loads of clothing dirt cheap simply because they were "last season's kit"!!!

They used to have a good reputation, not sure now but I haven't heard anything bad.

Rather than leather, have you considered gortex textile? More flexibility in warmth, waterproof, wind proof, tough and breathable. I just got some Alpine stars and Dainese gortex and they are great. They are much better than standard textiles.

With leather you will be sweating in the summer (every tried to pull a pair of leathers on, on on a hot day?) and wet in the winter.

I've got an Alpinestars jacket and RST trousers. Had to get a connecting zip put in (different brands never match zips!) but they work well together. Pretty sure the price of both was well under £500 though? Never heard anything bad about the Rev'its but would be tempted to shop around a bit and try on as many suits/brands as you can. Don't forget to try crouching/sitting down in any suit when it's zipped up and zipped together. Amazing how quickly you find out how uncomfortable they can be when you do that!

Fair points from DDT about too hot and too wet (really, he complained about that? :eusa_think: ) but I prefer leather to textiles every time :)

• Like 2

I've got a bit of a mismatch - leather trousers, which even after water just below the engine recently have kept me dry and a goretex jacket. I used dubbing on the leather to keep it watertight but you do sweat in summer. Small price to pay for the feel of leather though hehe

......Fair points from DDT about too hot and too wet (really, he complained about that? :eusa_think: ) but I prefer leather to textiles every time :)

I don't mind wet on the way home and cold providing it is a dry cold. Hate wet on the way there. I do have 2 leather jackets, one a classic Lewis for the old bikes and a RST racing one that is airaited so gets a good flow of air in the summer with a mesh liner, no zip out liner. I prefer goretex for practicality.

Despite advances in technology, leather is still the best protection if you slide down the road.

Thanks for all your comments. I have a textile set which is RST and is brilliant for keeping out the cold and rain. Even with the lining out I was sweating in summer. Was thinking leathers more for protection and hopefully I won't get caught out in the rain!! The leathers come with a removable liner too. Still, I would rather be as kitted up as possible just in case and I'll just have to live with being a bit warm.

"I'd rather sweat than bleed".

A good set of leathers will offer a very good level of protection but they need to be good so 3/4mm triple stitched in the right places with body armour. There is a lot of rubbish out there and price is no real indicator. For me, leather is for shoes, boots, gloves, belts, car seats, sofas and holding my tea together until I am ready for it. It's great that we now have an expanded choice of materials.

You pay's your money.............

I don't mind wet on the way home and cold providing it is a dry cold. Hate wet on the way there. I do have 2 leather jackets, one a classic Lewis for the old bikes and a RST racing one that is airaited so gets a good flow of air in the summer with a mesh liner, no zip out liner. I prefer goretex for practicality.

Get the feeling you might have missed my point on that one... :angel3:

• Like 1