Various YBR125 problems (again...)

Trooper
This post is 3732 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey hey

So I posted that thread last week about the indicators not working and then solved it by just replacing the fuse. Guess what? It's happening again! Solid left indicator dash light, no actual indicator lights. What the f*ck?

When I depress the back brake, it stays there. I have to lift it with my foot. Can't imagine that being hard to fix though.

Battery has gone pretty much flat again, despite fully charging it no more than 2 and a bit weeks ago. I can only start it using the kick start. When I do start it, the choke has to be off(?). If it's on then it won't even attempt to start, and if I kick start it with the choke off, then turn it on, it just dies. Surely it should be the other way round? I'm confused.

Arrrgghh!

P.s once I'm road legal, it's going straight for a service. And I'm gonna let a bike nut have a proper look at it, as my mechanical knowledge is limited.

Edited by Trooper

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Indicators and flat battery sound like a bad earth or a bad battery

The pedal sounds like a retrun spring fail or the cams in the rear break jamming.

The carb/choke could be anything but I would strip the carb and clean it.

what he said ^^^^

~I'd have guessed the spring on the rear break

- the choke- does it carb flood when you (try to) run with the choke on? If so i would say the carb needs cleaning and readjusting

- haven't a bloody clue about the indicators. maybe a bad connection somewhere?

DirtyDT knows a hell of a lot more then me about bikes. those are my best guesses.

I'm not sure if it is the spring in the rear brake, as it is actually very stiff to pull back up. It literally acts like a handbrake in a car when I push it down. Just seems like it needs a lot of oil. I know nothing about the choke other than what it does, so I'll let someone else deal with that :P As for the battery, my dad works at a factory that actually makes the wiring harnesses for a lot of vehicles including Yamaha bikes, he's going to test the battery there to see if it's knackered (hopefully it is, as buying a new battery is much cheaper and easier than the alternator or something being broken). There are people who work there who are bike experts, so eventually I'll nurse it there and let someone check it out. Thanks for the advice though people, it is helpful to say the least.

The 'once its legal' bit stood out for me. Untill it gets a proper run and use you dont really know whats up, save the rear brake of course.

Re: the back break. In drums the cams (the part that pushes the brake shoes onto the drum), can lock on and the springs can fail. Take the rear wheel off and check inside the drum to make sure it is all working in there.

Just a quick update

I've had the battery charged again, topped up with water and the contacts have been cleaned, so at least the bike gets plenty power now and starts properly without hesitation. It was done by someone else but I've gone out and bought a charger for future.

The indicators are still playing up, and the fact that they did work properly last week suggests to me that there's a bad connection somewhere. I'll have a proper look through the wiring one day when the weather is decent (I live in the north of England and it's been stormy for months... :shakeno:)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online