CT 175 air flow

MXCT272
This post is 3812 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All!

Been a month or so since I've posted, but I finally got my 72 CT 175 running! (Great Success!)

I was curious to any of you who have a similar model bike, have you had issues regarding air flow (using the choke on the carb) to keep the bike running through gear changes?

When I place mine into 1st gear, the choke pin seems to fall back into place, and the engine shuts off (so I have to actually put a clothes pin or something to keep it open, so the bike runs properly)

Is this somewhat expected? Or a strange case?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You have to keep the choke on all the time to keep it running? Or just until it warms up?

Hi

I think you may have a worn excess fuel plunger (choke), I have seen this before and witnessed people who have some times put a peg on the plunger shaft to hold it out whilst the motor warmed up, I would try to replace it,

I think your bike should run like mine and the starter plunger is only used at the initial start till the motor has warmed slightly then the plunger should be manually pushed back in once the bike will hold a steady tick-over rpm (idle)

• Like 1

Good to know, thanks for the advice!

Is the plunger an easy fix?

I think it may be a combination of that, and also exhaust smoke keeps leaking through the exhaust/head gasket...so I think the combination of the choke issue, and the airflow from a (most likely) faulty gasket are the culprits here.

(as im pretty sure there shouldnt be smoke coming from the head gasket and the exhaust pipe haha)

And i haven't really ridden it around too much, particularly because of that issue.

i.e I kick the bike over, let it warm up for maybe 2 min, then when I drop it into first gear, if that choke plunger falls in, the bike will turn off the minute I rolling about 10 ft. If I keep it open, the bike will run fine.

Good to know, thanks for the advice!

Is the plunger an easy fix?

I think your excess fuel plunger is like this one 'LINK' which is the same as the one on my bike and it is very easy to replace,

but please check on. http://www.partzilla.com/, that the pt number is also for your bike'

That one on ebay is not that cheap, I have seen them up for less,

Are you saying that the bike won't run at all when the choke plunger "falls back in"?

If so it sounds as though your carb needs a clean out. You may have a small amount of water in the float bowl, or the jets need a clean.

The exhaust gases that you see, where exactly are they coming from?

Mark

Yeh " the pilot jet is blocked,, mine only needs choke for 10 seconds, definately wont run with choke on,,, yours is using the choke to suppliment the lack of fuel thu the pilot being blocked, :yeah:

Are you saying that the bike won't run at all when the choke plunger "falls back in"?

If so it sounds as though your carb needs a clean out. You may have a small amount of water in the float bowl, or the jets need a clean.

The exhaust gases that you see, where exactly are they coming from?

Mark

Strange, I cleaned the carb extensively, and cleaned each of the jets (may need new ones seeing as the bike is 41 years old), but the bike will run with the choke closed, but it wont run well, it will start losing power when the choke closes, and the minute I pop it into first gear with the choke closed, the engine will shut off.

The exhaust gases are coming out of the engine head/exhaust port(gasket), so my guess is the gasket there definitely needs replacing, as Im going to assume that exhaust fumes should only be coming out of one place, not two haha. I'm just curious if maybe that exhaust leak is causing too much air to come in/out of the engine, and would cause the engine to shut off....?

I'm very new to mechanics, so I definitely appreciate everyones help!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online