XJ 1200 owners - need advice on busted headlight adjustement

DutchFJ1200
This post is 3834 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

Me again :-)

Can you bl**dy believe it !!!

I have driven Yams for the last 30 years but none had adjustable head lamps - this one has and its duff - hence failed MOT.

That's all, really. Chap was a bit apologetic for he thought it was a cracking bike.

This mini UJ connecting head light to the adjuster knob has fallen apart.

My hands are to big to fiddle around with it without taking the whole bl**dy fairing off. :-(

Any pointers ?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can't you just shove it into the right position? rather than fiddle around with knobs and stuff just push it where it needs to be. My XJ has these fiddly bloody Philips screws that are made out of toffee and so I just wedged the damned thing where I wanted it.

I hate to tell but all your old bikes did have adjustable lamps.

On the FJ I belive the adjuster fit`s into a plastic socket behind the lamp possibly it has poped out,your going to have to remove the lamp to see how the adjuster is fixed in it`s position and to do that on a FJ that means removing the farring.

as a inspector I would not pass a lamp that was jamed into positon.As I have to test the angle of the lamp and if it`s not 100% then it fails not my rules the govs.And I`m not taking a fine for anyone so if I cant adjust it properly and be sure it will stay that way then it fails.

Not to mention I hate beeing blinded by some idiot riding /driving with his lights shinning in my eyes and not on his side of the road.

Edit not calling you a idiot but so many cars out there with lights shinning everywhere but where they should be it pisses me off.

Edit not calling you a idiot but so many cars out there with lights shinning everywhere but where they should be it pisses me off.

Ehm, thanks for not calling me an idiot :eusa_whistle: but as you rightly put it your MOT regulations are a joke seeing what utter wrecks are on the road. The amount of cash I have to fork out on my Jeeps (my other passion) every year is scary ...... and they are in top nick.

For my problem however : I have found a solution to operate the original head light adjuster at the back of the lamp without having to dismantle the whole fairing. (no heath robinson antics, trust me) :hyper:

Glad you got it fixed,and you didn`t take personal offence,but I`m sure you have had it happen too,being binlded by a light from unadjusted light.At sometime.

And with our rules I would say about 10-15% of bikes are running around with lights that are of little value.

Our Mto rules are appauling here in Ontario , Have vehicle inspect when you buy it and drive it into the ground if you chose.

UNLESS it cant pass a emission test every 2 years.... tires bald thats OK we just want to test you computer to make sure your not polouting. :crazy:

Drives me nuts seeing all the junk running around .

But go west and MTO whats that?

Rules in Alberta to operate a vehicle on the road ,,101

Dose it run? Ok

Sort of stop? OK

Got insurance incase you kill someone with it? OK

Ok pay here and see ya later,here`s your new plates. :shakeno:

MOT in the bank - British Reg is now a formality.

Happy days :hyper:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online