yamaha xj6s engine start up?

wallywant xj6s
This post is 3848 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi ya, thanks for reading my post. I have a xj6s 2011 model Yamaha and done approx. 8200 mile now and noticed even more than usual on start up even the next day that it sounds like a bag of spanners for a few seconds in which I don't think this sound right? it has new oil and filter and I think it may be because the oil is not staying at the top of the engine after use so their for causes this to rattle as it does. once warm after a few sounds its fine but just concerned about this little problem I have.any ideas please?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The oil will drain down overnight but it should not sound like a bag of spanners at any time! If you bought it new then might be worth a trip to the shop and get them to have a look at it, problem is that by the time you arrive the oil will be warm and they will think your a dick!!! I assume that the oil pump is working? as that might be a problem but with only a few Ks on it that would be unlikely, can't think of anything that would do this just on a cold engine. Even my old XJ only rattles when on low revs but never when I start it, someone here will come up with a solution but I'm buggered if I can think of anything at the moment!!!!!

If you would perhaps you can remember to tell me what (if anything) they find wrong with your bike, just curious and the next time someone askes I will be ready for them! :jossun:

do you start the bike on its side stand?

the oil drains to the left and the oil pump is on the right.

something to think about as in future i'll be making sure the bike is upright when starting and at tickover

update, sorry slice never had the time to take bike in yet due to bad weather so not been able to help yet. But as for drewpy about the side stand and starting I have tried this after I wrote this post and to find it starts better than it does on the side stand so I believe its some thing to consider for future reference as after all the xj6s version has a centre stand so will use it. thanks all.

Just for info, I start my bike on the side stand and it doesn't make any difference, noise-wise. Which makes me happy, as I'm just a little bit rubbish at getting the bike on the centre stand! :shakeno:

It's not just a girly thing Katie, some guys struggle getting their bikes on the centre stand, saw a bloke at Weston last year who fell over 3 times before he got it right, his mates thought it was hilarious and fell about laughing.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online