Project 86 FZ600 - "Black Yamba"

feliks
This post is 3598 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So according to my haynes manual, I have to remove the frame down tubes from the engine, and then remove the engine, I can't remove them as once piece.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So according to my haynes manual, I have to remove the frame down tubes from the engine, and then remove the engine, I can't remove them as once piece.

probably, you have to understand that its a 600cc engine in a 400cc frame. very tight for room

Success! Once the frame rails were out it was no problem! Even got my wife to help me take it out!!!! LOL!!!! I call that a success in itself. :D

11609913184_8a77fe47af_c.jpg
IMG_2353 by feliks.ca, on Flickr
Now... here's the stripped bolt hole (this is for DT who wanted to see how far apart I should take the engine for the machinist)
11609913984_62ecc4350a_c.jpg
IMG_2351 by feliks.ca, on Flickr
11610329646_e0135681b2_c.jpg
IMG_2349 by feliks.ca, on Flickr

Ah!  Cool good to know! :D

Why do I always start a project and then halfway through not have the right tool...  where is my 12mm socket?!?  Do I even have one?? NO.  Why would I have a 12mm....the only one I need right now.... haha

Do you have a metric set of sockets? 12mm is a pretty common size, it should have came with a basic set. Buy it if you need it.

Now... here's the stripped bolt hole (this is for DT who wanted to see how far apart I should take the engine for the machinist)

Posted Image

IMG_2351 by feliks.ca, on Flickr

Posted Image

IMG_2349 by feliks.ca, on Flickr

I think that you have to pull everything down to the surface that has the pooched hole. The machinist will need to see the hole and have access to it for the repair. He'll probably need the section above as well to make sure that he has the hole centered.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, but at least the bottom end doesn't need to come apart right?

As for the cams... how the hell do I get them out now? The book said to remove the sprockets but Flip said I didn't need to....seems like they're in there really tight even though I removed the tensioner on the back and the front....

Any ideas??

11614096925_fcacb1f65d_c.jpg
IMG_5702 by feliks.ca, on Flickr

See what looks like nuts on the cam shaft rotate the intake foward this will slacken the chain

Your sure you got the cam tensioner out? the chain between the cams should be slack enough to lift the chain off and rol the cam out to the middel

Forget all that you need to turn the motor over so the lobes arent pushing down the valve/springs open the left cover and turn/rotate over the motor

covers open and it's at TDC....puled the front tensioner out (big long ass piece) and the back one out (just the spring thing on the outside) - is there more?

Slightly rotate it off tdc to slack the chain between the cams

What way am I looking at the motor? as it would be in the bike?

Feel the slack in the chain you want that between the cams, hard to put to words