xj600 help

8shot
This post is 3876 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi guys im having a lot of trouble with this xj600 . 1991 pre div

I bought it as a non runner to do up over the winter months I was told it had fuel issuses and poss need a carb clean .

so I got it home tried turning it over and was turning freely using the starting motor but wouldn't kick into life.

so I took out the spark plugs one by one and turned over the engine only a spark on 1 and 4 plugs. which leads me to believe the coil could have gone.. as theres 2 coils and 1 and 4 are on the same one. . .

now here is the most annoying bit. I let my mate have a look over it last night whilst I had to pop out. . I went in to my garage today to find all ht leads off. and the bike wont engage the starting motor when the button is pressed.. the oil light comes on. ??? also I hav´nt got a clue in which order the leads are ment to go on..... there are colour coded but I cant find anything on the net about it.. . . . ..

sorry for the lack of spelling in advance.

regards.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I might be completely wrong but I thought that the spark is initiated through 1 & 4 coil for cylinders 1 & 4 whenever the pistons for cylinder 1& 4 are both on an upwards stroke, meaning that when cylinder 4 is exhausting the gasses the plug still fires and at the same time the plug sparks on cylinder 1 which is on the compression stroke,

So if this is a correct assumption you only have to try one coil on the 1 & 4 plugs and if it does not work try it on 2 & 3 plugs,

I believe the technical term is called wasted spark ignition, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasted_spark

As above NAYFUF is right, wasted spark is the term and you only have to find the right cylinders for one set for it to be obvious where the others go. If the starter won't engage try removing it and give it a turn a then reattach it, might also be a loose connection where your mate has fiddled with the wiring? My 750 (pre divi 1982) is the same as yours so if you have any questions feel free to ask as I have had mine stipped down to the last nut and bolt, the only thing I have trouble with is getting the carbs to balance, some people seem to be able to do it easy but I end up shouting loudly and throwing spanners!!!!

now here is the most annoying bit. I let my mate have a look over it last night whilst I had to pop out. . I went in to my garage today to find all ht leads off. and the bike wont engage the starting motor when the button is pressed.. the oil light comes on. ??? also I hav´nt got a clue in which order the leads are ment to go on..... there are colour coded but I cant find anything on the net about it.. . . . ..

sorry for the lack of spelling in advance.

regards.

I bet you've flicked the run button off. the starter doesn't engage and the oil lamp comes on to warn you

Might be a help had same prob last week was ma pick up coils were at fault and if u run switch is on and the oil light comes on it will be a loose wire hope this is a help bud.

right ive got the bike started altho not by the start button.. which I must add that the oil light come on before it started to fail... just like when starting a car all lights come on till it fires up ....... not ive got another problem when I rev it it takes ages for the revs to drop to tick over im thinking a sticky throttle or carb issues . the 2nd I hope it is not.....

but on the bright side the engine sounds good and all gears select as they should. ill get some photos for you guys soon as it is a project

and im sure a spray job will be in the pipeline

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online