XVS 125 No power at all (HELP)

steph g
This post is 3891 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Guys,

Taking a break from customising my Dragstar 125 since the bloody thing wont turn on today.
Worked perfectly when I drove home from work yesterday and this morning there's no power.

Turn the key, press the ignition - nothing. No lights on the speedo, nothing.

The battery has charge (gave it a top up today just incase) and the fuses are ok. Any ideas?

Having to get the train full of nightmare kids till I fix it.
Save me from teenagegers.

Much thanks in advance,

Steph

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Going to replace ALL the fuses just incase. Don't have a multimeter (to be honest, I wouldn't even know how to use one).

If it turns out not to be the fuses I'll check the rest. The cables and battery looked good to me but I'm just a beginner when it comes to doing this stuff myself. Cheers.

At the risk of sounding really patronising, have you checked the kill switch?

Not that I've ever done that

Or replaced the starter solenoid before realising that I'd only run out of petrol... :eusa_doh:

I'll not lie. I know F**k all about mechanical things. Without a service manual I'm lost. Don't even know half the names of things.
Nice Katie. I once replaced half the electrics on my old scooter - on the advice of a mechanic I might add - only to discover if was just the rectifier (a £10 replacement fixed it).
Just far too skint to get a pro to look at it this time and it's my transport to work. Got my wife bringing me a ohmeter from her work. Will run a few tests tonight if the rain disappears.
Pulled out the fuses last night (quick check nothing more) and none were burnt out that I saw.
Fitted a new screen yesterday (I know, I'm a wimp). Do you think when I did I may have buggers one of the cables when I put it on?
It ran fine twice after that though.

Thank God!!!! Got it fixed. Wire from the negative was nacked. Replaced with a spare I had kicking about.
Starts up fine now. No more train for me...till it turns really icy at least.

Thanks for the advice guys (& gal). Much appreaciated.
Ever in Glasgow look me up. :hyper:

• Like 1

Nice, glad you're up and running again. Finding and replacing the dodgy wire has already raised you well above my mechanic/electrician standards :eusa_clap:

Just seen this thread and I must say if everyone just took the time toLOOK and realy look at the simple things,,, as you have ,,,,alot of mechanics would be out of work.

Most electrical problems can be traced that simply,it does help to have a good firm knowlage of the system .However you don't need to know alot to check each and every connection for things like corrosion /loose broken wires.It's just a time consuming thing to do and most just won't take the time.

Job well done Steph

Thanks. Feels good to do these things and actually get the damn things to work.
Bike still going fine. Now back to the customising.

Thinking of stealing the colours from the new indian (red & cream. Love that classic look and I think my wee 125 will sport it nicely.

http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/012_Vintage-IndianRedIvory-static01.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online