new voltage regulator wiring

carluk69
This post is 3895 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there Ive tried looking through the archives come close but to no avail so my apologies if this is like a re post
i own ( reluctantly recently ) an xj400diversion 1991
she just keeps popping bulb checked the voltage and its just under 18.0v
time to fit a new voltage regulator
this is the problem
the one that's fitted is the wrong one has their is a extra wire hanging out of it
and there is only one bolt holding it in and no plug its been cut and tapped together
what im wanting to know is
how to wire a plug up to the harness to fit the new regulator Ive added a few pics
any help would be appreciated thanks Carl

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh552/carluk69/T.jpg

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh552/carluk69/Photo2016.jpg

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh552/carluk69/Photo2013-1.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Move to the workshop. You posted in the new members section which is where new members come to say hello before posting up technical questions.

its not a voltage regulator its a rectifier in your pictures, which is it?

It might be one of those combined regulator/rectifiers, similar to the one i used on the DT175MX 12v conversion.

One side is the reg the other side is the rectifier.

Edit:-

yeah, just looked on ebay.....loads of them available listed as regulator/rectifier

Its one of those combined regulator/rectifiers, similar to the one i used on the DT175MX 12v conversion.

then it shouldn't just have 4 wires then, because reg/recs have 7 wires.

Take a look at my DT175 12v conversion post, where i used a Honda Cub regulator/rectifier.

I disconnected the rectifier and used the combined one to replace both. Not all have 7 wires.

take a look at post 21

The original 6v DT rectifier is only 2 wires and the regulator is only 1 wire (earthed through the casing)

A minimal combined unit would have 4 connections (one being the earth)

its not a voltage regulator its a rectifier in your pictures, which is it?

It might be one of those combined regulator/rectifiers, similar to the one i used on the DT175MX 12v conversion.

Edit:-

yeah, just looked on ebay.....loads of them available listed as regulator/rectifier

thats why im a bit confused it is an combined regulator/rectifier thats come off being the wrong one becouse they fitted this one to the later version

so ive orderd the correct one for the earlier version but just need a bit of guidence withe the wiring has ive no plug on the harness to conect it when it arrives

if you understand my meaning

thanks Carl

PS

sorry for posting in the wrong section (longday)

Take a look at my DT175 12v conversion post, where i used a Honda Cub regulator/rectifier.

I disconnected the rectifier and used the combined one to replace both. Not all have 7 wires.

take a look at post 21

The original 6v DT rectifier is only 2 wires and the regulator is only 1 wire (earthed through the casing)

A minimal combined unit would have 4 connections (one being the earth)

Neo,

that's a 2 stroke with a mag. Totally different engine set up that's why I never mentioned it as the thread gets confusing then

looking at an old loom on ebay it looks like

ABC is white wires from stator

D is red to battery with an earth to body, granted its off a 600 model

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-YAMAHA-XJ600-XJ-DIVERSION-WIRING-LOOM-HARNESS-BREAKING-PARTS-SPARES-/290959957705?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item43be909ec9

looking at an old loom on ebay it looks like

ABC is white wires from stator

D is red to battery with an earth to body, granted its off a 600 model

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-YAMAHA-XJ600-XJ-DIVERSION-WIRING-LOOM-HARNESS-BREAKING-PARTS-SPARES-/290959957705?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item43be909ec9

nice find drewpy and thanks

ive just found this pic on the net that confims that

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh552/carluk69/DSCF0774.jpg

so thanks again

OK as mentioned the one marked 'the right regulator' is not suitable for your application - its for mopeds.

Looks like someone has fitted a Superdream regulator to your bike. This is a popular mod as the Superdream regulator is a solid reliable unit.

With these things the mounts and type of regulator are important - not what bike it fits - if the wires are different - its easy to change.

Looks like you need a 3 phase permanent maget type (not field controlled like the Honda CB550 or XS650)

You can use a 5 wire unit or a 6 wire, the extra wire is a voltage sense, Yamaha like to use this type of regulator (the CB250 wetdream uses the same type) The sense wire must be connect to the main circuit after the ignition switch. If you tie it to the red you might find if works well but after a few days the battery will be flat as the regulator circuit will be 'leaky' and the battery can drain through it. Thats why the brown wire is used as its is switched off with the ignition off.

OK as mentioned the one marked 'the right regulator' is not suitable for your application - its for mopeds.

Looks like someone has fitted a Superdream regulator to your bike. This is a popular mod as the Superdream regulator is a solid reliable unit.

With these things the mounts and type of regulator are important - not what bike it fits - if the wires are different - its easy to change.

Looks like you need a 3 phase permanent maget type (not field controlled like the Honda CB550 or XS650)

You can use a 5 wire unit or a 6 wire, the extra wire is a voltage sense, Yamaha like to use this type of regulator (the CB250 wetdream uses the same type) The sense wire must be connect to the main circuit after the ignition switch. If you tie it to the red you might find if works well but after a few days the battery will be flat as the regulator circuit will be 'leaky' and the battery can drain through it. Thats why the brown wire is used as its is switched off with the ignition off.

this is the item ive orderd http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171053350749?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

it should arrive this week so will let you know how i get on thanks carl

If your bike has a 2 phase regulator that'll work, if not it won't.

But at 21 quid it'll have a computer powersupply voltage regulator in it (rated at 10 amps max) - good luck with that

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online