Hi, newbie awaiting an XJ6

Kaizac
This post is 3916 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

Just a quick note to say hi, I'm new to this biking malarkey, passed my test five years ago and never bought a bike until May this year when I went for an SV650S.

Great bike, however not for me, I loved the torque, the power, the noise, the looks but the riding position and the constant vibration through my wrists giving me pins and needles meant it was more of a chore to ride the thing.

So I started looking for something a bit more upright, I looked at Bandits, Fazers and the like but kept coming back to the Diversion.

Luckily I found a mint 60 plate Diversion S at my local dealership for just shy of £3k, 8000 miles, black, standard bike, really well looked after, and they offered me more for my bike than what I paid for it, too good to say no.

Needless to say I pick it up next Saturday hopefully. I've already read many posts on here and they have been most helpful to help me decide which bike to go for.

Now to start modding it, first thing is that monstrosity of a rear fender, doesn't really do anything for the lines of the bike, it's gotta go.

Just need to find a guide to fitting some LED indicators and I'm away. ;0)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Kaizac, first of all welcome to the forum and thanks for a great intro.

I've been riding the older type diversion(2000) for the last eight years and the only reason I've still got it is that it is so comfortable to ride on long distances either solo or two up.

As for going to work every day I can't fault it.

But, and I mean BUT.

After about half an hour I do get pins and needles, to which all I need to do is to take my right hand off the throttle and shake it about a bit for a few seconds. (It always seems to be my right hand?)

Anyway there a good old work horse and the engine is bullet proof.

Welcome aboard Kaizac! :wavey:

:welcome:

Welcome and a good choice of chariot :) my first proper bike was a 1994 diversion, always wanted the new divy but couldn't afford it, when I saved the money I then moved to the Fazer, i found it less agile but it was racey and really stable through corners. Anyhow I'm sure you will love the divy!

Led signals are easy, just buy a set of led signals, and then for each indicator you need a ballast which ensures that the led signals draw the same about of power as the original bulb indicator and that will ensure that your indicator relay works at the same rate meaning the lights will blink at the correct interval, without the ballast they would work but blink really fast (hence be outside of the legal requirements for uk MOT). To fit them it's a case of unplugging the old and plugging in the new.

You should be able to find the ballasts on eBay or amazon by searching for led indicator / turn signal ballast.

Thanks for you advice Norcot. The new tail tidy turned up today and although they look very much like the arrow LED indicators, they are infact small amber bulbs, not LED's. Look very smart with some vents at the back so the light can be seen from the rear of the indicator too.

Either way should be a straight swap. I'll try and upload some pictures or a link on my YouTube channel once its fitted.

Paid £40 (or thereabouts) from http://www.spengineering.co.uk/ I know it's probably the cheapest one about but who cares, it's not as if your gonna see it. Looks like a straight forward swap and the quality of the bracket seems ok to me.

On a sad note I've just taken the SV for its final blast o er Cannock Chase, MOT runs out tomorrow and there son way it's gonna have a new one put on it before it goes off to the dealer on Saturday.

Fingers crossed the Divvy is ready and I can squeeze in a couple of decent trips whole the weather holds out.

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

Well picked the bike up Saturday, so far so good, glad I made the change, I'm so impressed that it will cruise quite happily in top at 30mph and then wind all the way up to silly speeds.

I fitted a tail tidy but seems that the indicators have a bit on an issue. My brother did the wiring, he runs a firm of electricians so I know the wiring is good. The replacement rear indicators are bulbs not LED's, so that was simple enough to swap from the stock set up, the replacement number plate light is LED. Since changing the lights I've noticed that sometimes ( more often than not ) if I select the hazards they flash once and then won't work, and then neither will the indicators if selected left or right. I have to turn the ignition on and off a couple of times and everything then seems fine, the indicators work ok, I select the hazards and sometimes they will work, sometimes not, which will in turn stop the indicators from working. Bit frustrating really.

Anyone else have this problem?