MOT Question

kearnsy123
This post is 3931 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well after a great weekend in scotland apart from the seat been sore on the backside im well impressed by the yamaha fazer fz6 ... just a quick question im moveing to scotland in 3 weeks and was wondering how hard is the mot on bikes my fz6 just had new tyres ..service chain and sorikets are all good just she had a bot of a fall bfore i purchaced it and the left side engine caseing is all scratched and the handle bars are slightly off but doesnt effect the steering in anyway would this fail ?? Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Irish MOT may be different, but have a look at this and see how it compares to your bike:

http://www.motuk.com/bike/1-1.asp

No mot over here

The MOT breaks down into a few major categories, some good to check over:

- Lights (All operational, brakes and indicators work from the controls)

- Steering (Bars, forks, wheel to be straight, must be able to steer freely with no restriction i.e. from cables, head bearings smooth)

- Brakes (Pads in good condition, no binding, rotors with enough material left and not warped, enough fluid in resivoirs)

- Drivetrain (Chain is not too slack, wheel bearings in good condition)

- Engine (Starts and runs clean, no burning oil etc, exhaust not blowing)

- Wheels (aligned and straight, balanced, tyres in good condition with enough tread)

The general issues that I have found with my past experience that have failed mine or my friends MOTs:

- Tyres Bald / Condition, must have over 1mm tread, no cracks or perishing in the rubber or cuts etc

- Brake Pads, make sure there are enough pad left on each pad

- Blowing exhausts (check theres not corrosion / holes leading to blowing)

- Seized or Binding Brakes, so check your wheels are spinning relatively freely

- Chain tension (check they are in reasonable limits)

- Bent Bars / Fork (if you dropped your bike make sure your bars are not bent and forks too)

Generally I find bike MOTs are easier to pass than Car ones, but that's maybe because I do all my own bike maintenance. To be honest, if you maintain your bike and keep it in good enough nick to trust your life on it then it will probably pass the MOT.. Thats my opinion though.

There are comprehensive lists on google on the MOT requirements, i've only listed the major things that I have experienced.

Enjoy scotland! :)

Don't forget noise levels! My Falco failed at one garage because the tester thought the exhausts were too loud (they were road legal, with baffles in place). Apparently (I double-checked this too), his subjective assessment was all that was required to fail it. :shakeno: I was strangely unsympathetic to the explanation but had to take the bike elsewhere to get it through (passed with flying colours) rather than put the stock exhausts back on.

Don't forget noise levels! My Falco failed at one garage because the tester thought the exhausts were too loud (they were road legal, with baffles in place). Apparently (I double-checked this too), his subjective assessment was all that was required to fail it. :shakeno: I was strangely unsympathetic to the explanation but had to take the bike elsewhere to get it through (passed with flying colours) rather than put the stock exhausts back on.

It may be a bit far, but there's two places here in Reading that I guarante are very fair in their MOTs and will do right by you as best as the law allows... Both offer free retests if you fix the problem and return within a few days.

It may be a bit far, but there's two places here in Reading that I guarante are very fair in their MOTs and will do right by you as best as the law allows... Both offer free retests if you fix the problem and return within a few days.

Thanks for that. The garage in question was based in Welling and I'm well away from there now. Have found a decent (small) garage locally now. Anyway, I love my XJ6 but being too loud is definitely not an issue!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online