Not a DT175E Rebuild

mcferreira100
This post is 3966 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just aquired another one. Was going to use it for parts..but as its registered on the road and everyhting works..will restore it as well. I prefer this shape tank as well. Rode it home..runs ok..idles but dies at high revs.

3yj4.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
xj3h.jpg

Nice! She looks like fun. :)

Got original key..fits helmet lock and steering lock..everything works..no leaks. Only hassle is kickstart makes a whirring sound once started. Pull the kick arm back a tad and it stops. Would like to know what to look for here?

Got original key..fits helmet lock and steering lock..everything works..no leaks. Only hassle is kickstart makes a whirring sound once started. Pull the kick arm back a tad and it stops. Would like to know what to look for here?

Have a look in your parts book at the kick starter mechanism, you'll see its quite a complex assembly with all manner of springs clips, spacers and a gear

You're simply going to have to get that cover off and It's a good bet you'll see what the problem is

It's easier to work on if you rempve the clutch...but not strictly necessary, it can be removed and re-fitted with the clutch in place but it's awkward that way...saves a clutch tab washer though

at the end of the axle, you'll see it has a 'foot', check this comes to rest on a cast protrusion on the engine case when in the relaxed position.

also check the spring end is in the correct place in the hole next to the outer casing screw hole (see pic)

100_1279.jpg

Thanks Airhead..will remove cover and take a look. Luckily I have 2 bikes here and the other one has an oil leak so will remove that cover same time to see how things should look. Just waiting for gasket kit from Yambits. Damn..come to think of it..if I remove the cover on the one with kickstart hassle i suppose I should replace that gasket as well...maybe I can get away with it.

That running out of revs. will be fuel starvation, [ check flow & float level] and whirring sounds lke kicker idller gear must be fouling on summat, :eusa_think: nice find tho, good nick its in,,

Took some more pics today.

z6zt.jpg

Plan to take carb off for good clean like I did the first one (bowl in boiling water seems to help). Also needs gasket as leaks fuel when bowl is full. I replaced needle and seat on the first bike..damn expensive from the dealer..30 pounds for 2 tiny parts. Still looking for a seat for first bike..stuck with an IT seat. Can get off ebay but shipping expensive for large parts..will have to make a decision sometime.

By the way the older bike is a 3G6 serial. Is that a 175E? Can`t find it on my serial cross reference listing.

Thanks Airhead..will remove cover and take a look. Luckily I have 2 bikes here and the other one has an oil leak so will remove that cover same time to see how things should look. Just waiting for gasket kit from Yambits. Damn..come to think of it..if I remove the cover on the one with kickstart hassle i suppose I should replace that gasket as well...maybe I can get away with it.

Take care removing the cover, the gasket will be stuck some the the inner case and some to the outer case, dont part it far and tease it off one of them with something

wemoto sell the gasket on its own

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/dt_175_mx/78-79/picture/clutch_cover_gasket/

Oops..can someone change the title on this thread?

LOL..suppose that works as well.

good day and bad day..my new kickstart arrived from Thailand. Why do all my bikes have either broken or wrong kickstarts? My foot very happy to see a decent kickstart. On the bad side I destroyed the taillight lens trying to get it off...damn screws rusted solid.

3x7w.jpg

Battled all afternoon with this with no luck on getting it working properly. Not sure if something might be worn out. The clip in the pic fell out when i pulled the shaft out and sits very loose on the shaft. Maybe this caused the problem in the first place. Can`t see how the clip must go into casing. Need to see a pic of how things fit together behind the idler gear.

tjww.jpg
yk1r.jpg

Went to the dealership with my kickstart shaft and gear today..they say wear on these items look excessive. Before replacing expensive items, thought I would try replacing the clip which is obviously essential in getting the kick gear to engage (cost ZAR20). Also I noticed something today..on the white bearing (pic above) sitting on the shaft inside the return spring..there is a recess that fits into the spring up against the casing. Makes a big difference to kickstart return..otherside lever does not come back up. This observation sorted the one bike`s kickstart out..(this bike needed new clutch gasket). Now must check if it makes a difference to the other one with the more serious kickstart problem. Should get the new clip tomorrow and we`ll see.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online